Wind?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
I live in a very breezy place, I'm wondering how much of a breeze they can handle. Does it matter what the temp of the wind is, or is it not good in any circumstances?

Any breeze when it is cold out is going to be bad for the buns. When it is hot, like over 100*F then a breeze is a blessing. As a matter of fact I set up fans during the summer heat to circulate the air in the rabbitry. I close down all tarps during the winter cold to keep any kind of wind away from the buns. Even in sunny San Diego the winter breezes can be too cold for the newborns.

For whatever reason the wind cuts straight through our rabbitry. Great :p for the coming summer not so good for the winter. :x So we are going to use a trampoline surface as a cover in the winter. :lol:

Well, it rarely get over 95 here, but can still be windy. I would like to think that we are in the last cold spell for a while now, with the lows temps around 40-45, with 10-15 mph winds. Should I cover them up?

Anything over 80*F for an extended period of time can cause your bucks to go heat steril. So a way to keep the rabbitry at or below 80* is a very good thing.

I would cover them with lows in the 40s. But I have to admit, I didn't cover my rabbitry until we suddenly had temps dive into the 20s. It was a shocker, though... it was way below what the temps had been up until then.

Sagebrush":1dn1ee9e said:
Anything over 80*F for an extended period of time can cause your bucks to go heat steril. So a way to keep the rabbitry at or below 80* is a very good thing.

Thanks for the info on the high temp. Would placing ice bottles in with the buck decrease their chances of going heat sterile? I know it is advisable to keep the buns happy and healthy during the dog days of summer.

Miss M":1dn1ee9e said:
I would cover them with lows in the 40s. But I have to admit, I didn't cover my rabbitry until we suddenly had temps dive into the 20s. It was a shocker, though... it was way below what the temps had been up until then.

Thanks for the info on the low temp. I just hope that the nights here in Missouri stop dipping bellow 40. I'm ready for warmer temps.

It can get very windy here, as well. Other than winter, another time I have to think about covering the buns is during bad storms. The wind can push the rain in.

Cathy, I'm not sure if ice bottles would help with buck sterility. I give mine bottles during the summer, but I don't breed then because I don't want to stress the does laboring/delivering in the heat.

Sagebrush":1hi5hels said:
I use ice bottles during the summer as well. Though it worked better in Northern Nevada then it has here....
I plan on using the frozen bottles too. Would the wind bother them then? They are under a roof, with very little sun exposure, only in the early morning, but broken up by the lattice.

Again, during the hot months any breeze is welcome. I would only worry about wind during the colder months. Ice bottles are a help even with a breeze/wind. It will help keep them cooler.

Sagebrush":gp0ewtho said:
Again, during the hot months any breeze is welcome. I would only worry about wind during the colder months. Ice bottles are a help even with a breeze/wind. It will help keep them cooler.
Ok, cool!! So far, only 3 more days in the 40's and under.

Our refrigerator in the garage is packed full of frozen water bottles. We use them in our cooler when we go camping.

Sagebrush":3h6m8xic said:
Any breeze when it is cold out is going to be bad for the buns. When it is hot, like over 100*F then a breeze is a blessing. As a matter of fact I set up fans during the summer heat to circulate the air in the rabbitry. I close down all tarps during the winter cold to keep any kind of wind away from the buns. Even in sunny San Diego the winter breezes can be too cold for the newborns.
Actually, once you hit just under a hundred, a dry breeze can actually cause more problems for the rabbits than still air. I'm using misters to help cool the rabbits, it worked through 110+ degree days last year and I'm doing it again this year. If you are keeping the air moving in those temperatures, it will help a lot to get some water involved, whether it be some misters, or some sort of wet clothes kept wet by a recirculating pump. A swamp cooler would be best but they are kind of pricey so I'm sticking with the misters.

I've read a few good ideas for keeping rabbits cool.

One is to give them a piece of ceramic tile to lay on (I'm doing this... also gives them a way to get off the wire) and it's naturally cooling.

Another good trick I saw is to buy some of those big terra cotta bowls that go under flower pots, turn them upside down and put a bag of ice under it. The terra cotta helps to insulate the ice and the bunnies like to lay on the bowl for cooling.

Syberchick70":3gqtmsfd said:

One is to give them a piece of ceramic tile to lay on (I'm doing this... also gives them a way to get off the wire) and it's naturally cooling.

Another good trick I saw is to buy some of those big terra cotta bowls that go under flower pots, turn them upside down and put a bag of ice under it. The terra cotta helps to insulate the ice and the bunnies like to lay on the bowl for cooling.
I think I may have a couple of pieces of tile around here somewhere!!

The only thing with the bowls would be how long would the ice actually stay, well, ice? Beings I have wire cages, I would think the heat would get to them from the bottom. Maybe something like freezing water in a shallow 'tupperware' dish so it would be solid, would make it last a little longer?

Syberchick70":213vujmb said:

The Ceramic Tile will help cool them so long as it is cold, when it heats up enough it too will cause even more problems. Some people keep bricks and big pieces of thick ceramic tiles in a refrigerator or freezer for them. Last year I did use some frozen ice bottles to help the rabbits out, I mostly used 2 liter bottles.

Back