will rabbits chew wood on inside of hutch ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishbone

Reaction score
hi,
i'm just getting started on build a wood, free standing hutch.
should i run all my hardware cloth/wire on the inside so thay can't chew on the wood.
or is this not a big issue ?

i'm not using treated wood.

thx,
dave

hahaha yes. They will chew the wood. Hardware cloth may stop it. 1" square cage wire does not - my NZR buck is trying to eat my bunny barn, and it's outside his cage :p.<br /><br />__________ Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:23 pm __________<br /><br />Although, for what it's worth, none of the other rabbits in the shed have been chewing the walls, and they all touch them(cages are hung on nails that are into the support posts of the walls.)

Some of my rabbit chew wood others do not. I have some wood in one cage that is covered with hardware cloth (1/4 or 1/2) and the buck doesn't touch it. I don't have any hutches but I have several wood feeders that get the occasional nibble. On 1 of them though the doe is tearing it to pieces lol.

i'll keep the wire inside.
i was going to use 1/2'' x 1/2'' on the floor, and a little bigger on the sides and top.

would it be better to use the 1/2'' x 1/2'' on the whole thing, so they can't chew any wood at all ?

thx for your input.
dave

I would use the 1/2" hardware cloth around the posts at least, though you could use it all over. Hardware cloth is not good for bunny tootsies though, as it often has sharp pointy pieces at the welds, and is thinner gauge than regular wire, making the rabbits more inclined to get sore hocks. I would get 1" x 1/2" cage wire for the floor.

man, i'm glad i asked.

great idea on running the sheet metal up the post.

i was thought i needed to use the small 1/2'' x 1/2'' for the floor, because of their feet.
but, if you say it has those share edges, thats not good.

so use the 1'' x 1/2'' , and just give them a board to sit on ?

really appreciate your help. i'm pretty new to your forum, and i'm sure this has been discussed.
dave

It's not the hole openings it's the gauge of wire. 1/2 x 1/2 tends to be very fine wire that cuts in to feet and is easily broken in places to create sharp edges. 1/2 x 1 is usually better but for best results you specifically want cage wire not regular hardware cloth.

Most rabbits will chew wood. Given lots of hay they chew a little bit less. The dwarf rabbits usually weren't a problem for me either and only about half the meat rabbits did much damage. My worst offenders were my mini rex including one buck who ate enough of a roof beam to climb over the cage divider through the gap and join his neighbor. The little dwarf buck in there lept in to his wire hay tube to avoid being attacked.

thanks, i'll really look the wire over good for its quality.
thx for educating me on this.

i'm just looking to buy wire from the big chain stores like Menards, Tractor Supply, ect...

do they have what i need, or is best to get something online thats made just for rabbits ?

You want a minimum 16 gauge galvanized after weld wire, mos hardware cloth is 18-19 gauge. The lower the number the thicker the wire.
Try a company that produces fence materials to find it.

Latest posts

Back