Will breeding an albino and a broken only give me white (or mostly white) kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2 Tamuk whites, but I recently bought a New Zealand to hopefully add some color to the babies. But here's my problem, the new Zealand is an orange broken and I would be breeding her with an albino Tamuk, now I'm scared that breeding her with an albino will end up making all the babies white or at least mostly white with some orange possibly. I also now however that rabbits carry different colors in their genes as well, so is it possible I could get some solids or different colors in the litter?

You'll only get REW kits if the doe also carries it as a recessive, and even then, only half should statistically be REW and the rest will depend on the colors the TAMUK buck is hiding. There was another thread not too long ago where we discussed this in more detail. Try searching the forum for REW (ruby eyed white). Hope this helps!

You'll only get REW kits if the doe also carries it as a recessive, and even then, only half should statistically be REW and the rest will depend on the colors the TAMUK buck is hiding. There was another thread not too long ago where we discussed this in more detail. Try searching the forum for REW (ruby eyed white). Hope this helps!
It does thanks I’ll try to find the thread!

I have a doe that is white with red eyes, I bread her with a brown male (looks like a wild rabbit) and 3 kits were white, two black with silver tips, and one grey with a white stipe on its nose. You never know what you are going to get. I say give it a shot and see.
On the same note, I bread my American chinchilla rabbit with the same buck and 5 out of 9 kits look like him.

It's a REW not albino and I'm pretty sure that the REW gene is more dominant than others
Isn't REW by definition an albino? I always use the terms interchangeably. REW can be somewhat confusing to new-rabbit and non-rabbit people.

Sometimes I've heard REW defined as 'Red Eyed White', but I think the 'Ruby Eyed White' sounds nicer.

Then there's a friend of mine who says they're 'demon' red eyed rabbits and is all spooked by the red eyes. Personally, I find a white rabbit with blue eyes (generally referred to as a 'BEW' among rabbit folks) kinda spooky looking.

Anyway, back to the original question of breeding a colored rabbit to an albino, (aka 'REW' among rabbit folks), it takes two recessive genes - one from each parent - in order to get the white REW (albino) rabbit. The albino-ism is a whitewash and covers up whatever color the rabbit may genetically be underneath the white color. So, offspring of a colored rabbit and a REW white rabbit will be whatever color the colored rabbit brings to the party mixed with whatever color the albino is beneath the whitewash. If the colored parent has the recessive for REW, then there's a fifty percent chance each baby will be REW. But, you won't get the color diluted with white from the albino parent. (Dilution is an entirely different gene, but we will leave that alone for now)

They would be Chestnut colored
Rabbit colors are confusing enough, but we also get to sort out the different color names by breed as well. Agouti comes in chestnut, wild gray and possibly a few other variations as well, however, the names for it can also change depending on the breed of rabbit. Hmm, I think maybe 'castor' is another name for certain varieties of agouti? 'Brown' can also be some shades of tort? Rabbit colors can be extremely nuanced and very confusing to the new rabbit and non rabbit folks. But, we all started out not knowing any of it at the beginning.

Are color genetics anywhere near standard across species? Does my red haired neighbor have an extra gene for 'rufus'?

Latest posts

Back