Why would someone tattoo a mutt?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochinBrahmaLover

Reaction score
Why would someone tattoo a Rex mutt? We got 2 does free off CL a while ago (they're expecting now), and I've been bringing them inside for a bit at a time, when today I noticed the more aggressive one (whom I don't handle as much) has a tattoo! Why would someone tattoo a mutt? I can read it very clearly, it says :
OSC39
When we first got them, my sister did a google search and thought that maybe she was a thrianta, but I didn't really think so since they were labeled as Rex mixes, but perhaps we got a thrianta by mistake, lol.

Her face looks more Loppish though, so I kinda doubt it, but still.. Why would someone bother labeling a mutt?

Hmm I suppose. I guess since tattoo machines / pens are awfully expensive to ship up here, but guess they could've got it cheap for some reason.

I knew people in Juneau when I lived there that tattood all their buns...

I got all my stuff shipped via usps flat rate box, so shipping was never any more expensive to Alaska than anywhere else. I do the same thing here in Hawaii.

Hmm,,ok. Maybe it's just my section of Alaska... I don't know anyone who doesn't have show buns that tattoos.

Thanks. :)

I got a clamp set off ebay for less than $20, add flat rate and for less than $30 someone could have a set/pen.

Most of the people I know tattoo culls as well. They tattoo their litters early, wait for keepers and cull the rest. I don't bother tattooing anything until it's bred or shown, but I cull really early.

However, the one litter that was 12 kits, all black and blues, I had to tatt them early. The Silver fox/Angora kits, I will have to tatt them as well, because they are all the same color, and I need to watch them grow for a long time to see who I will keep.

I don't like to put my rabbits through pain for no reason. If I can't tell my rabbits apart, I use a pen. The last rabbit I bought had a broken tail, but the breeder insisted on holding her down and putting in a very long tattoo. I didn't refuse though because I understand other breeders have different practices.
Personally, I put my animals comfort above my convenience. I also get the impression that it's OCD for some breeders, but those are the cases in which it really does irritate me.

You need to ID mutts just like every other rabbit if they are the same color. I was going to ear tag my american sables that I wasn't showing or were crossed with something so I could tell them apart since they only come in 3 colors. I've had horrible luck getting a good tattoo with my clamp kit. I thought ear tags might be easier and I had some in colony where ear tags would allow me to ID them without having to catch them.

I tattoo my Leonis Rex mutts.

Sometimes people introduce another breed into their lines to get certain characteristics that are lacking in their stock to improve type. Since rabbits are judged on pheontype (appearance) rather than genotype (genetic makeup), they can still be shown and are considered "purebred" after three generations.

Jackelope":371ma0s3 said:
I don't like to put my rabbits through pain for no reason.

I use a pen, and I rarely wrap or restrain any of my rabbits anymore to tattoo. If done correctly, the pen doesn't cause pain. I also have a topical numbing agent used by tattoo artists, but even without it they will sit quietly.

MamaSheepdog":w91kbiv6 said:
I tattoo my Leonis Rex mutts.

Sometimes people introduce another breed into their lines to get certain characteristics that are lacking in their stock to improve type. Since rabbits are judged on pheontype (appearance) rather than genotype (genetic makeup), they can still be shown and are considered "purebred" after three generations.

Jackelope":w91kbiv6 said:
I don't like to put my rabbits through pain for no reason.

I use a pen, and I rarely wrap or restrain any of my rabbits anymore to tattoo. If done correctly, the pen doesn't cause pain. I also have a topical numbing agent used by tattoo artists, but even without it they will sit quietly.

I've seen painless tattooing done once in a while. The topical numbing agent is a great idea.If I still had rabbits, I'ddefinitely use it. =)

Jackelope":8ih1lg7s said:
I also get the impression that it's OCD for some breeders, but those are the cases in which it really does irritate me.

Oh- and that would be me! :lol:

My system tells me who the parents are as well as month born, and size in relation to littermates. I do buck's initial, doe's initial, rank in litter, month, year. When I first tattoo a litter I sometimes just do the first three digits, and when I cull I add the last two digits- but at least one rabbit from each litter has the full tattoo from the beginning.

I've seen painless tattooing done once in a while.

I think most people press too hard. You just need to use light strokes and go over them several times. When I first started using it, I was pressing too hard, and the needle would sometimes snag in the tissue.

The topical numbing agent is a great idea.If I still had rabbits, I'ddefinitely use it. =)

I usually am doing whole litters at a time, so first I swab all of their ears with alcohol, then write the tat with a Sharpie and apply the numbing agent. It takes a minute to work, so by the time I am done marking the ears, the first bun is ready to be done. :)

We have a single color breed. All stock must be marked or I'd be going crazy. And I only have 5. Once we have popples I'll be marking their ears with a sharpie so that just in case my sons pull them out and put them back in the wrong nest I'll still be able to tell them apart. Thinking Sire initial/Dam initial/# in litter/litter #.
But like MSD I have OCD.

I have a mutt that I am quite fond of. If anything happened I would like to be able to prove she is mine from my herd. I'm planning on tattooing her.

Well I checked and my other mutt that I got With this mutt is not tattooed... These 2 are greatly bonded, though. Is it possible to bond 2 different rabbits? I almost think they're from different people... 1 has short ears, is grey, Rex fur and a long face... The tattooed one has longer ears, normal fur, is brown and is tattooed... But they're bonded...hmm...

Latest posts

Back