Why use baby saver wire

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Hunter

Reaction score
I guess I have to learn everything the hard way...went looking for my 1 week old NZ kits...found 3...but no #4...found him...had to cut the cage wire to get him out...Momma was really upset...but all is well...and baby saver wire installed...How on earth did that little guy get out of the nest?...soooo...if anyone else is wondering..."Do I really need to install that baby saver wire??"...yepper, you do..

Attachments

• aa 2011-06-11_18-23-13_709.jpg
    aa 2011-06-11_18-23-13_709.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,816
And if any cats have access, the baby saver needs to be really high up. I have baby saver wire, but the nest boxes are as tall as the baby saver wire, so the cats just reach into the cage where they can and grab the kits out of the nest box... I learned the hard way, and it's the cat you least expect that will do it. :(

JT, the kits sometimes get dragged out of the nest box if they fail to let go of momma's teat when she decides mealtime is over. Amazing that they can hold on that tight, but sometimes they do. Once out, they are out unless you rescue them... Does cannot carry their young back to the nest the way a dog or cat might.

Maggie, I never thought of that but it sure makes sense. Little Momma jumped into the nest immediatly when I put him back in...she was a bit stressed out I think...everyone seems to be doing well today..

JT_Hunter":3v5ifxp7 said:
Maggie, I never thought of that but it sure makes sense. Little Momma jumped into the nest immediatly when I put him back in...she was a bit stressed out I think...everyone seems to be doing well today..
Glad you found yours quickly... I lost one that got out of the nest at about 2 days old, fell from the front of the cage (the only side without babysaver) into the gutter and crawled down until it fell into the bucket of urine/poo. By the time I found it, it was dead already... :cry: You can bet I spent the rest of the day putting babysaver wire on all the cages.....

Bummer...I think mine are actually too big to get thru to the outside...but they sure can get their head stuck....seems to me I did something like that on the stairs one day...Hmmmm...yep...I did...I probably looked as sad as my little bunny did...

Yep, if you don't have urine guards installed around the lower 2-3" of the does' cages, baby saver wire is a must.

Hey maggie...I was just a curious youth...I got into everything...guess I still do...but I keep my head out of tight places today...my ears are too big to let me get myself out again...seems that was the problem the bunny had...them long ears

Maybe someone can answer something for me? Why are the cages not made out of baby saver wire? Wouldn't that solve alot of problems, save alot of bunnies and be cheaper in the long run??

Awwww, that poor little wee one! So glad you found it in time to save it. We all learn lessons at some point, and as long as we walk away having learned something valuable, we can make something positive out of something quite awful.

Miss M....sorry got side tracked...I used the 1/2" x 1" cage wire usually used for floors....cut it into 4" strips and attached it on the side at the bottom of cage on the outside<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:17 pm __________<br /><br />Hey Fuzzy9....yea, I figued I should share my miss-adventures with the group...as I learn...share it so others might learn also...

JT_Hunter":15fupqxs said:
Miss M....sorry got side tracked...I used the 1/2" x 1" cage wire usually used for floors....cut it into 4" strips and attached it on the side at the bottom of cage on the outside.
That's okay... what did you use to attach the wire? I have some of that wire.

It amazes me... Shay added some 2 - 2 1/2" to the lip of the nest box. They're still getting out. The little boogers must really hold onto poor Fluffy! :shock:

You can use the clips that are used to make cages...I used a tool I posted about here...
cage-building-tool-t3549.html<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:02 pm __________<br /><br />My little ones start popping like popcorn around 2 weeks old...but ny then, they are too big to get out...at least thru the cage sides

JT_Hunter":2bhlznf0 said:
You can use the clips that are used to make cages...I used a tool I posted about here...
cage-building-tool-t3549.html

__________ Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:02 pm __________

My little ones start popping like popcorn around 2 weeks old...but ny then, they are too big to get out...at least thru the cage sides
Oh, right, duh! :oops: I have J-clips and a tool! I spent too much time in the sun today. :oops:

Fluffy's kits are about 10 days old now, some of them just starting to open their eyes. They've been escaping from the nestbox regularly since they were 2 days old. I've had an escaping kit now and then over the last few months, but this particular litter has taken it to ridiculous ends! :x

Back