Why is she sooo against her bowl?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
Pippen is like a thorn in my foot sometimes.... Every day I give her a bowl with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pellets... She refuses to eat out of the bowl... Dumps them on the bottom of her cage and eats them there... It is not just the food though, if I put it next to her, she will pick it up and throw it at me... Anything in her cage I move, she throws it... I am not allowed to rearrange her cage... It is pretty funny but I don't like her eating off the floor... I guess if that is what she wants though...

Anyone else have a rabbit that prefers to keep their room their own way? BTW, she has a cage that can't hold one of the metal feeders that attaches to the side... She lives in the house...

maybe you could get a crock that mounts to the bars of her cage? like they have on bird cages? I have wingnut clamps that attach my crocks to the side. I prefer j feeders most of the time though. What kind of cage wire do you have?

It is amusing, but if it bothers you there may be a solution. I have seen this kind of behavoir in my rabbits but most of their furniture is "nailed down" or too big and heavy to lift. I give them sticks and pine cones to throw sometimes. :)

KatzNetherlands":2haghqs7 said:
Pippen is like a thorn in my foot sometimes.... Every day I give her a bowl with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pellets... She refuses to eat out of the bowl... Dumps them on the bottom of her cage and eats them there... It is not just the food though, if I put it next to her, she will pick it up and throw it at me... Anything in her cage I move, she throws it... I am not allowed to rearrange her cage... It is pretty funny but I don't like her eating off the floor... I guess if that is what she wants though...

Anyone else have a rabbit that prefers to keep their room their own way? BTW, she has a cage that can't hold one of the metal feeders that attaches to the side... She lives in the house...

Well you know what they say about two women in the same house. :evil:<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:33 pm __________<br /><br />
hoodat":2haghqs7 said:
KatzNetherlands":2haghqs7 said:

Well you know what they say about two women in the same house. :evil:
The Chinese ideograph for peace is one woman under a roof. The one for trouble is two women under a roof (the one for gossip is three women under a roof)

haha.... I hadn't thought of the bird crocks.... that is a great idea...

Here she is in her cage...

PippenHangingOut.jpg

Pippen:

Pippen.jpg

You could also hang a Jfeeder in her cage by bending the wires backwards, that is what I do because my hutches are out in the rain, but if she is that much of a character, she may just dig it out. I think bird crocks would be better if they work with horizontal bars.

You know.... I wonder if we could snip off some of the wires to make one of the other feeders fit?.... hmmm have to decide if I want to take a chance of ruining this cage or not...

It doesn't bother me that much, I find it amusing... just not sure why she insists on eating off the floor... lol

YOu could make a custom bowl for her that is mounted on a platform too heavy for her to move. Another thing that might work is a stainless steel non-skid pet bowl. They are very hard for a rabbit to get a grip on because of the shape. Small ones for cats are available at dollar stores, so not much of a loss if it doesn't work.

http://www.stainless-steel-utensils.com ... tware.html

cremaric bowels for dogs are good too.Harvey does that and all of my other rabbits... rabbits constaly disaprove of our placement of stuff in their cages.

why is everyone talking 'our placement' of dishes? Just look at Pippen-- she OBVIOUSLY feels she desrves either the finest of china, or a silver platter.

Frosted Rabbits":1yefeljn said:
why is everyone talking 'our placement' of dishes? Just look at Pippen-- she OBVIOUSLY feels she desrves either the finest of china, or a silver platter.

She has a real attitude in the 2nd photo, doesn't she? How cute!

She has a real attitude all the time.... lol She is a great rabbit though.... Spoiled as heck. The cage she is in is only temporary and just for indoors(which she will be most of the time and in the winter).... She is getting a hutch built soon... I can't wait! It is going to be so nice...

My does are all very particular about where their dishes are placed. If I don't put them where the bunnies like them they get used as toilets or dumped and moved to the "right" place. If she's not moving the dish to a specific place each time she may be just looking for something to play with. In that case toys would probably help. I love the 2nd pic. It looks like it would make a good calendar page.

What kind of toys are good for rabbits? We got them some flavored blocks of wood but those were ignored completely.... I want something they can play with but not something they can destroy and eat....(unless it is not harmful)

My rabbits all seem to love toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay. A more permanent toy they seem to like are those wire balls they make for cats. easy to pick up and toss around. Almost anything that has a lip on it, is light, and makes noise when it hits the wire :) Plastic trays from chinese take-away is a favorite.

Latest posts

Back