Why do rabbits cages largely have small openings?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
It seems even the commercial cage have small doors, why is this? I have a variety of cages that are store bought (6) and some that I made (5). Most of the doors are very small. The cages I have built I made with door that are essentially the whole top or side of the cage. Getting rabbits in and out is a breeze.

It's just a hunch, but I believe it is because the space on each side of the cage is limited, and often the feeders are installed on front of the cages. Depending upon the size of the feeders you mount on your cages, it eats up a significant amount of space.

Most of my cages measure 24" x 24", while doe cages measure 30" x 24". 12" are what the actual door space measures in each instances. On the doe cages, there's obviously a little more room to work with, but with the 24"x24", that door accounts for better than half the space across the front of the cage by the time you figure in the overlaps created by door guards. If I'm using a 5.5" feeder, that accounts for pretty cramped space on the front, and it's why I have resorted to installing feeders on the doors. For me, it just makes better use of what limited space I have in each cage.

I think Satinsrule is spot on. I like to put a water bottle a hay feeder and a feeder all on the front of the cage if possible. When I built my own cages I made the doors smaller than I would have liked to accommodate all the bling on the front.

Satin's hit the nail on the head, I think. Either that, or even the cage makers cringe when they cut into an unblemished panel of wire. :lol:

I make all my cage doors just large enough to get
a nestbox in and out when required. Of course
the Bucks cage door does not need access to a nestbox.
Most doors are 12" X 14" which leaves more than enough room
for a water-bottle on one side and the [J]feeder on the other.
I also allow room for a Hay-rack.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back