Who were your first pair?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
I know lots of you have told who your first rabbit was....but what about first pair of breeding rabbits?
What started you out on rabbit raising? :) And how many years have you been doing it?
Feel free to post pictures and rant on your glorious start! :p
Can't wait to hear everyone's stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I had a couple of rabbits growing up. We never bred them but I enjoyed them. We were gifted a Holland Lop named Buttercup about a year ago, when she was a year old. Her owner is still a friend of ours, but they had her inside and it just wasn't working out well. And she had reached a hormonal age where she was needing something to happen, as her behavior became unpredictable. So we took her in and started to get educated. We started to look at breeding her to help her temperament and to teach our 9 yr old daughter about money management and business. It's been great for her to see that she has to sell 5 kits to feed her bunnies for about 6 months, and while she's not getting rich she's learning the principles of business and what it means to make decisions and take risks. We got our Buck "Elvis"
This past spring, and put them together right away. She had a litter in April and has been the sweetest, best momma every since. And we have added more rabbits, waiting for new litters as right now! We currently have 5 adults:)

I had several rabbits years ago, but this go round, I got a couple californians tight about a year ago. Alice and Jasper. Alice has given me several litters this year. A litter of 8, her first litter, on a day that was -15*. She did everything right, but they all froze in the nest. Next litter 12, then 15, current litter only 9. Very good mama.
That was the start of my meat rabbits, currently have 6 californians, one pregnant and two with litters.
Then on new years eve last year we got our first pair of mini lops for my daughter, Oliver and Belle. We currently have 20+ mini lops, one with a litter and four pregnant.

Starting with the idea of raising meat rabbits, we bought a pair of adult NZ/FG crosses to try out.

(silver tipped steel buck and a very sandy looking doe, I'd guess wideband chestnut.)

Both were good tempered animals that knew their business better than we did.

Instant mating, 11 babies in exactly 31 days. Good nesting instincts.
11 fryers weaned. Those two buns made the whole "rabbit raising" thing seem easy. :lol:

But, I think the part that really hooked me was all the kits colors, most of which I didn't even know the names of at the time.. Fawn, frosty, rew, silver and gold tipped steels.

Obviously, I had to learn more about coat color genetics... :?

We were in the checkout line at Tractor Supply when I commented on the rabbit pellets being bought by the lady in front of me. She told me she had two lionhead bucks, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and then...she asked if I wanted them, saying she had little time to tend to them any more. She said she would give us the buns, their big hutch, food, everything. We wanted to try rabbits and we had our big truck, so we followed her home.

Yes, I know the question was about our first breeders...

One day not terribly long after we brought them home, we went outside to feed the bucks and found two kits in a wad of fur in the hutch! Turns out, Rocky was a doe. We, and the kits, survived, and we went on from there.

I've only been raising rabbits for a little over a year but my first pair was a silver tipped steel buck and a masked silver tipped steel doe (she looks black).

They were on the small side for meat rabbits. Especially the doe but she has given me 5 litters and has never lost a kit. She's not friendly but never mean. Lets me check on kits without any problems. She was a great starter rabbit for me when I didn't have a clue what I was doing or what to expect. I still have the doe and one of her daughters. I think I may go ahead and breed her again.

My brother and I first began with two little Dutch rabbits named Willow and Denali. They were both girls and we intended to have them live together in a HUGE hutch that we built, as pets and 4-H animals. Later, a month before the first 4-H meeting, we found out that the "girls" were getting a little too friendly with each other. We thought maybe they were in heat because a "very experienced darn good rabbit raiser" sexed them for us. NO. This was not the case. Willow was a girl, Denali was a boy, and neither rabbit had the amazing markings their breeder so proudly claimed they had. So we sold our two little Dutchies (I wanted to keep them as pets, but we had no cage space if we wanted to do 4-H) and got into a new breed.
For me, that was the Silver Fox. I thought they looked like big giant bears, so snuggly and soft. It was love at first sight when I got my first pair, Softfall and Lovey. Softfall was from beautiful lines, threw BEAUTIFUL kits. Lovey was from slightly better lines but was blue. Half of my kits were black and half blue most of the time because Softfall carried a blue gene too. I was so happy with my kits and with their daddy and mommy(although Lovey was kinda snotty). So when I decided to take three kits to the fair I was excited with how they would do. Guess what they placed? Dead last. Why?
Because it turned out that on Lovey's side, the person I got them from had been lied to about Lovey's lines. Lovey had New Zealand ancestors. I found this out when a judge told me, hey your rabbits have odd white spots on the cheeks (being new I thought it was a birthmark they would grow out of) and I can tell they aren't pure sf. WHAT?! So I got a second opinion, and a third, and a fourth. They all thought my rabbit was mixed breed. Well, I found out from the fourth judge that she knew the person who sold those lines as purebred and they weren't. He was kinda new and thought it wouldn't matter down the road as long as the rabbits LOOKED purebred. Maybe, except for the white spots. So, the lady I got my SFs from ended up culling about 30 of her buns.
So because of this whole ordeal, I decided that because of my extremely limited cage space I would just get out of silver fox rather than get new rabbits or try to breed out the problem. The breed I chose was Mini Lops.
I liked the Mini Lops more than any rabbits I'd ever seen. I sincerely did not know that such a rabbit existed. I mean, really, a ball of fluff the just melts in your arms, complete with a face so cute that even if you were planning for them to go to the stew pot you decide to keep them(oops)? It seemed too good to be true.
But it wasn't. Now I have a Broken Smoke Pearl buck named Mozart(Mo), a REW doe named Lily, and kits on the way. Mo is just beautiful, I didn't think that color even existed. The lines are great, Mo has lines from a rabbit judge, and came from a 4-H member. Lily came from my 4-H leader, she has good lines also. Plus, their problems offset each other. Lily could be more filled out and has long shoulders. Mo is built like a brick with a great head and coat, but has a poor rise. So I'm really excited about how the kits will turn out(and what colors I'll get!).
Well, that's my story. I found all the stories really interesting and decided to add my own. :)

Its so interesting and cool to hear from everyone!! :popcorn:

I have yet to breed my first rabbit... but I hope it will be a pleasant experience! :)

My first trio were somewhat of a disaster. I knew I wanted to try rabbits for meat - something small and manageable to start out with, plus we were coming out of squirrel season and I realized processing a rabbit was just about the same so I felt confident I could do it myself!

First step was finding hutches. I found some cheap ones on CL that needed some work, but I felt like for the price it was worth the gamble to get things started. It was a teen who was on the wrestling team and didn't have time anymore (although I am pretty sure he didn't invest much time in them anyway going by the looks of things :x ). He offered me 2 NZW does for cheap, then a mixed breed buck that was a broken tri color (had no idea the name then, just thought he was pretty). I didn't know what to look for at.all! I ended up with one with vent disease, and one with raging ear mites. Poor things. I should have bought all of what he had just to put them out of what I am sure was misery the way they were being cared for. Either way, I paid $90 for 3 rabbits and 1 4-hole hutch and a single hutch. I was able to sell her 8 remaining babies (1 failed to thrive, 2 ended up out on the wire, and my dog pulled one through the not-so-great wire) and make $80 of it back. We had dinner with the vent disease doe, the ear mite one is who had 11 and I am hoping to get another litter or two out of her, but I don't have a clue how old she is, and the broken tri buck is at DH's cousins house.

Lots of lessons learned, that's for sure! But at least it wasn't a total wash. The single hutch is my quarantine area, the 4-hole hutch is being repurposed into quail (after finding plans for a quail set-up that looked almost identical).

We were getting ducks. LOL
Then I decided I wanted ONE male Flemish Giant.
There was a local girl selling them, so we were waiting on our buck.
She offered us a pregnant FG doe.
We bought her... Clover... who turned out to be a mutt (some FG, harlequin coloring... on of her daughters produced rex coated kits when bred to my Standard Rex LOL)
but she is a rock star mama!

Based on how much we liked her, we bought Bigwig (FG buck).
But when I realized the issues with breeding giants (big EVERYTHING), I sold Biggie and started gathering some purebred bucks and mutt does.
My daughter bought her Holland Trio. (since sold)

Since March when we began, we have learned SO much and made a few big changes.
At this point, I am very happy with my herd and their direction.
We have Cali, NZR and Standard Rex bucks (3 altogether); mutt does all of our own breeding now (2 seniors, 5 juniors).
I purchased a breeding trio of Standard Rex, yet to produce anything.
And my daughter has a Harlequin (breed) doe.

With the exception of perhaps a Harlequin buck in the spring, I am staying the course with what we have, and keeping a closed rabbitry for the time being.
Clover got us rolling, and we have her, plus two daughters in the mix now, and one buck (not counted in our breed stock) who has become the pet we planned for in the first place!

And not even ONE single duck in sight... (LOL and Amen!!)

Who ARE my first pair.
That would be my black Havanas, Aja and Bink. (avatar) Their fist litter of 3, (and one stillborn) are 13 days old and doing well, all nice and fat. Aja's a good mama. :)
I'm just getting started, so I don't now what makes a true "dwarf", but both are small by Havana standards. They make up for their size with their attitudes. Maybe the kits will be bigger.

Well... our first pair was a little unorthodox...

Thumper: buck, agouti, mini lop, cutie, grumpy, less than 5 pounds.
Pearl: doe, white with faint gray spots, possible Flemish Giant cross, pretty, skittish, a little more than 6 pounds.

Yup, for meat. :rotfl:

In 2012 my first trio was a pregnant, 3 year old giant checkered doe and a buck of the same breed with about 6 months - and my Black Fury with 4-5 months, didn't know then that she wasn't going to be a giant.

I started with rabbits because after a veritable breakdown I needed something to keep me going, some reason to get out of bed in the morning, and so on :? . Rabbits because my grandparents had them, like every second other house, they were a common meat source in my childhood.

Doe kindled 11, everything went smooth, I went on vaccation for two weeks and when I came back I noticed that the buck looked sick, swollen eye lids, and very passive. Didn't know anything about rabbit diseases back then, and it grew worse rapidly, had to cull him. Problem seemed to be solved, but some time later one kit after the other showed symptoms and I culled those, were about 2 months. When I realised it was Myxomatosis I separated all remaining healthy rabbits, had one in every room, but it was almost too late, sole survivor was the black. Since the hutches were contanimated and meanwhile it got really cold and she didn't have a chance to grow winter fur I kept her in my kitchen through winter. Bought a second doe in February and divided the kitchen - what a mess -, but they jumped the barrier and got along really good. Too good, when I caught them in the act I knew the sex change fairy paid a visit. First litter was born in my kitchen.

Since then everything runs pretty good, kept the buck and got a second doe, the grey.

Attachments

• Riesenschecke.JPG
    Riesenschecke.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Schwarze und Dicker Küche.jpg
    Schwarze und Dicker Küche.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 703
I started with Sam, a black dutch buck and then for my birthday my parents gave me my first pair Boston, one heck of a brood doe and the queen and a another black buck, Four who died after a show. I bred Sam and Boston and they gave me 4 little goofballs. Then My Sister chose polish as her breed and as her twin I soon followed which led to Athena a gift from my 4h leader who is terribly amusing and sweet. I never knew that you could have such an amazing connection with a rabbit. :) You will never guess who is my favorite? :lol:

My dad was very adamant about no more animals coming into our house, and I had been bugging him for months to please at least let me try to raise rabbits, it would give me some sort of income, and something to do. Christmas morning 2 years ago, I was done opening my presents, and he looked at me, and asked if I had gotten everything I wanted, and I said I did, and he's like well I forgot something out in the garage. It came a long way, and if it defrosted, i'll get you a new one, it's no big deal. He came in with a cooler, and set it down in front of me, and he still kept repeating, if it defrosted, i'll get a new one. I opened the cooler, and out popped my 12 week old Flemish buck, Snickers. He was like oh darn, it defrosted, i'll get a new one. :cool: I started bawling, and picked him up, and just held him, and he just sat there. He was my first, and I eventually got my two current does for him. I now raise a few different breeds, but he was my first, and my dad definitely surprised me with him.

Attachments

• snickers 2.jpg
    snickers 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 677
We started with 4 rabbits, 3 does and a buck, from AA Rabbits in Willis, Texas. Our intent was to breed for healthy meat for our family.

Attachments

• Left Side 4.jpg
    Left Side 4.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Padme May 2011.jpg
    Padme May 2011.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 342
  • Leia May 2011.jpg
    Leia May 2011.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 342
  • Amy May 2011_2.jpg
    Amy May 2011_2.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Sonic May 2011.jpg
    Sonic May 2011.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 342
Galadriel":27vri7vp said:
Leia and Padme?! WIN! Love it! :lol:

I wanted all of them to be Star Wars, but my youngest wanted Sonic and Aimee from Sonic the Hedgehog, lol :lol:

:rotfl: My uncle would love talking Star Wars with you!

Er... Bun and I might, um, sit in on the conversation..... :lol:

How do you like those water bottles OneAcreFarm? I've been looking for some easier to clean bottles....where did you get them at? :)

Latest posts

Back