who should i breed him to?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newhope

Reaction score
He has very little color but from what I can tell he is opal.
What color doe should I breed him to,to tell for sure?

Attachments

• 644078_3708561324416_1361836506_n-1.jpg
    644078_3708561324416_1361836506_n-1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 751
Yes, if you are just interested to see if he is an opal for sure, breed him to a solid blue.

You can breed opals to other colors, depending on what your goals are. The dominant agouti gene will most of the work for you. You are supposed to cross dilute to non dilute every so often, that's what I hear.

SarahMelisse":4l2kwgvy said:
Bad Habit":4l2kwgvy said:
The colour breeding guide says opals should only be bred to other opals, or to blues.
What color breeding guide do you have? Or where is it, online?

http://www.amysrabbitranch.com/Color%26 ... gChart.pdf<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am __________<br /><br />These aren't hard and fast rules, and some colors you wouldn't breed together in one breed are perfectly fine in other breeds.

I was leaning towards blue,but one of the guides I seen not to,so I wasn't sure.
My goal right now is just to see what color he is.

Opal is a dilute and and an agouti. Blue is a dilute and a solid, so the agouti would be dominant, and there are no color side effects to either the opal or the blue.

Also, the MR color guide is for mini rexes. Some color combinations will cause unshowable colors in Mini Rexes, but those same colors are showable in other breeds. If you don't care about show, blue is the faster route.

skysthelimit":2dltk1e6 said:
Opal is a dilute and and an agouti. Blue is a dilute and a solid, so the agouti would be dominant, and there are no color side effects to either the opal or the blue.

Also, the MR color guide is for mini rexes. Some color combinations will cause unshowable colors in Mini Rexes, but those same colors are showable in other breeds. If you don't care about show, blue is the faster route.
:yeahthat:

skysthelimit":2pq7jjvf said:

Also, the MR color guide is for mini rexes.
Some color combinations will cause unshowable colors in Mini Rexes, but those same colors are showable in other breeds. If you don't care about show, blue is the faster route.

Does that mean that the information learned there is unapplicable to other breeds?

Bad Habit":3gu1u9v7 said:
skysthelimit":3gu1u9v7 said:

Also, the MR color guide is for mini rexes.
Some color combinations will cause unshowable colors in Mini Rexes, but those same colors are showable in other breeds. If you don't care about show, blue is the faster route.

Does that mean that the information learned there is unapplicable to other breeds?

You just have to know the colors for your breed.

Back