Who here allows your bunny to sit on your lap?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happybunny

Reaction score
Is it okay to take a bunny and place them on your lap and pet them AT HOME?! Or is this too scary for the bunny and they should just be left in their cage? No mean comments please!!!!

Comments that disagree with what you want to hear are not mean. People can have opinions on here that differ. You cannot ask for opinions and then label anyone who disagrees with your opinion as "mean". Please keep this in mind as you post on this forum.

Also, if you are not actually interested in people's honest, helpful responses to your "question" then they will stop bothering to respond.

Comments that disagree with what you want to hear are not mean. People can have opinions on here that differ. You cannot ask for opinions and then label anyone who disagrees with your opinion as "mean". Please keep this in mind as you post on this forum.

Also, if you are not actually interested in people's honest, helpful responses to your "question" then they will stop bothering to respond.
Answer my question above.

So let me get this straight:

Rabbits can be slaughtered for meat consumption but bringing a pet rabbit outdoors in a secure carrier/stroller is cruelty.

Yeah this makes sense.
Yes, it does.

A rabbit that is cared for in a species appropriate way their entire life and don't have any unneeded stress or diseases and then has a confusing but not entirely bad moment at the end has a far better life than a rabbit that is taken places and stressed repeatedly, needlessly exposed to disease, and potentially mauled by a dog, cat, or any other animal and dying a slow and painful death.

Yes, it does.

A rabbit that is cared for in a species appropriate way their entire life and don't have any unneeded stress or diseases and then has a confusing but not entirely bad moment at the end has a far better life than a rabbit that is taken places and stressed repeatedly, needlessly exposed to disease, and potentially mauled by a dog, cat, or any other animal and dying a slow and painful death.
Okay fine! But what about having the pet rabbit sitting on your lap at HOME? Is that okay or is this cruelty again?!

Okay fine! But what about having the pet rabbit sitting on your lap at HOME? Is that okay or is this cruelty again?!
I have no opinion on that. As long as they don't fall or jump and hurt themselves I don't see an issue as long as the rabbit is fine with it.

If you would look at your other thread about this exact same topic, you would see that you got comments basically saying the same thing.

https://rabbittalk.com/threads/bunny-on-lap.37285/

It's called food.
Please lets all remember to stay respectful. While this is indeed a meat rabbit and farming forum, as it says at the top of the screen, pet rabbit owners are welcome here too. And they are welcome to not eat rabbit.

Please lets all remember to stay respectful. While this is indeed a meat rabbit and farming forum, as it says at the top of the screen, pet rabbit owners are welcome here too. And they are welcome to not eat rabbit.
it was a joke. I don't think you should eat a rabbit that you have had as a pet. We should end this conversation with a cute pic

Attachments

• IMG_8141 (2).jpg
    IMG_8141 (2).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
it was a joke. I don't think you should eat a rabbit that you have had as a pet. We should end this conversation with a cute pic
Sometimes things written in text don't come across the same as they might in person, so we all need to be mindful of how things might be misread. It sounded to me like you were being sarcastic toward a the original poster, and I would prefer that we are nice to everyone. I am sorry if I misread your intent--but that is the point here that I am making, we have to be a little more careful when we communicate with text only.

My breeders are my pets, but even then I sometimes have to cull the number I have on hand as I cannot keep every rabbit. I have neither the space or the resources to keep all of them. As a result, I do sell the ones I can but others go to the freezer. I can absolutely guarantee that Tiny, the one in my avatar, will never go to freezer camp. I can't eat my own personal Easter Bunny.
IMG_2506.JPEG

I don't think domestic rabbits are as fragile as wild rabbits. Mine live full-time in cages outside, but they LOVE attention. I often take them out to the yard to get some freedom by turns (can't bring more than one unfortunately because they fight LOL)

IMG_20240302_113622725.jpg
They have no sense of self-preservation LOL (actually the dog loves them)

IMG_20230807_154559545.jpg
When the summer was over 110+ I even brought a few into the house (again one at a time)

IMG_20230806_203701469_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I have thought about bringing my sweetest, happiest buck with me on a bike ride, but he just got castrated by his son LOL so I guess that's off the table for now anyway. (He's fine, just cautious now - he broke into his son's cage, but came out the worse for it)

My rabbits are Tamuks which is just a super-fancy meat mutt. So maybe they're tougher or calmer than normal rabbits, I don't know. They are super calm & friendly. Everyone that has bought one for a pet loves them.

greatpets5-collage-s_orig.png
So, I would say it depends on you & your rabbits. If they're stressed out by it, just do it for a short time & do it often. They'll get over it. I know the first time I bring mine out to the yard, they get kind of stressed on the walk over & some are timid at first. I just speak sweetly & tell them it's all okay & hold them until their heart stops pounding. The next thing you know, they're tearing around their yard & cutting flips! Then they lay in the tall grass & just get to enjoy being a 'real' rabbit for awhile.

If you're happy with them in the house, I haven't seen any harm in it. Mine love it. I've also given them baths when it's super hot, brought them in to brush, etc. The rabbits that are raised for fur are regularly brushed, but that's all I know about them.

Have fun with your animals, and if it works for you & them it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Liz

Oh, p.s. I had a customer tell me that she read a study that said rabbits that get picked up every day live longer :)

Last edited:
My breeders are my pets, but even then I sometimes have to cull the number I have on hand as I cannot keep every rabbit. I have neither the space or the resources to keep all of them. As a result, I do sell the ones I can but others go to the freezer. I can absolutely guarantee that Tiny, the one in my avatar, will never go to freezer camp. I can't eat my own personal Easter Bunny.
View attachment 40963
What a cutie! Looks like a cartoon rabbit!
Love the harness. Do you have a recommendation for one? I keep thinking I can sew my own, but I never do. Right now, the only rabbit I would try it with is on the injured reserve, hopefully not the permanently disabled list. I would love to be able to take a rabbit out with me! Thanks for any info/source!
- Liz

Latest posts

Back