Who de-worms their rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EviesTulipsRabbitry

Reaction score
I was looking threw my Rabbitry Magazine. And I seen some de-wormer stuff. And I was wondering who de-worms their rabbit and how often a year?

Thanks, Misty

I have never dewormed my rabbits, nor would I do so unless I saw evidence of worms. In colder climates, the parasite population is kept in check by the harsh winters. I do grow pumpkins for fall/winter food for the rabbits and the pumpkin seeds are helpful as a wormer - as well as being excellent nutrition.

Just a note to all who are new to this idea. Feed only pumpkin or winter squash seeds that you have grown or that are sold as human or animal food. The seed packets intended for planting usually contain a fungicide that could be dangerous to rabbits.

I don't worm mine, i didn't think you could since rabbits are pretty delicate.
When giving pumkin seeds , do you give em shell and all or deshelled? Raw or roasted?
How many at a time?

Raw is definitely best. They can be fed with or without the shell. Start with just a few because sudden changes in a rabbit's diet of any sort can cause problems. They are a rich food, high in protein and healthy fats, so I would not feed more than a tablespoon per day. Usually people feed them in fall, when the pumpkins are ripe, over a period of weeks. If you are buying the seeds, you could feed them daily for a couple of weeks. They are also good as a rich winter supplement in cold weather, much like black oil sunflower seeds.

Latest posts

Back