White Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKirst

Reaction score
Ok I'm moving along with my Broken Tri line, finally got a broken buck. I bred the harlequin to the broken chocolate. 2 of the babies appear to be white, 1 broken, and two dark.

Kits+-+1

I went to Kim's Rabbit Hutch website, typed in the codes and I seen broken REW .. how do I know if they are broken REW's exactly ?

Also, the broken kit doesn't have a butterfly on the nose at all. Will color eventually show up or is what I see what I get ? :?

Thanks.

The REW hides the rabbit's true color...so if a rabbit is genetically broken black under the REW, it will breed true. :)

Like let's say you bred a chocolate doe to our hypothetical REW. Since he is genetically a broken black, and assuming he does not carry chocolate, all their kits will be black carrying chocolate, and about half will inherit broken patterning from him. :)

The only way to know 100% on a REW is to breed them and see, unless one parent was a charlie- in which case it's FOR SURE a broken under the REW.

I'm currently waiting to see if I can prove a buck of mine carries dilute...his sire carried dilute, my buck is REW, there's a 50% chance he carries it. I bred him to my blue doe (who carries REW) and if I get blue kits, I know he carries dilute!!! :) If the universe loves me, they COULD produce blue, black and REW.

Think of REW not as a color...but a blanket that hides the "real" color underneath. :)

how do I know if they are broken REW's exactly
you cannot tell unless you do a couple test breedings to a non-broken rabbit.

the broken kit doesn't have a butterfly on the nose at all. Will color eventually show up or is what I see what I get ?
What you see is what you get - unless it is a tri-colour with very light fawn that may darken with time.

To get harlequin you need non extension or two harlequin genes and it looks like your broken chocolate buck doenst have one or didnt pass it on to any in this litter.

The broken kit has either harlequin or non-extension from its harli mom. Hopefully it is a male and when bred back to her you should start seeing some sort of tri's.

If it turns out to be a female your best bet is to breed her to a brother and hope they got the harli gene, or else keep back a broken orange/fawn or broken chestnut buck kit and breed him to his harli grandmother.

Can you tell if the dark kits have lighter bellies? It is hard to tell in the picture if you have selfs or agouti's

Thanks for the replies.

Here is what the littlest one's belly looks like. The other is all pink - doesn't look like this.

Kits+-+1

I took pictures today. I think one is broken chocolate and a female .. but absolutely no butterfly. Darn it !!

Breeding rabbits is hard to get nice showable colors. ;)

Kits+-+2

Now I guess I just hope the all pinks are all white with pink eyes. I could show them then, ya ?
:cool:

Latest posts

Back