White discharge but no sneezing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellanimals

Reaction score
I had a rabbit transported across the country and picked up at a show. It did not seem to have any signs of illness when I picked it up and the breeder and transporter say they did not see anything. The morning after I got him home, one nostril has a white discharge. He is in quarantine. There has been no sneezing witnessed and my husband or I are around the quarantine area most of the day. No eye discharge. Seems to be eating and drinking fine. Could it be anything other than Pasteurellosis? The lack of sneezing is what is throwing me.

edited to add photo:
20160507_095659.jpg

I'm sorry, unless there is something stuck....terminate. Unless have culture done, won't know exactly what it is can be anything from pastrella to pneumonia. Pastrella is not curable. Have you showed the picture to the breeder/transporter? Long trips are hard, might have picked something up in route.

i would cull for that AFTER thoroughly discussing the issue with the breeder. You can't do much with the transporter unless they housed the rabbit with sick rabbits... but you want to keep the transporter in the loop in case they had other rabbits with them so they can advise the other folks they transported rabbits for (if they indeed did) and also so they can be mindful of their own rabbits.

My experience with snot is cull it and cull it hard.. no regrets, just do it so it's OUT of your herd.

You may as well do it now. I had one in quarantine for a month and then it sneezed like three times the DAY I was going to put it with my others. I kept it another month and nothing but a sneeze now and then. Another two weeks and then clear snot everywhere. I culled him and didn't even eat him. I paid a lot of money for the rabbit and also had it hauled along distance. Doubt I will try that ever again.

I respectfully disagree with the others. Before you cull the poor thing, if it was mine, I would give it a fair shot at life. I've had many different rabbits with runny noses in all colors and all of them survived. I do realize that none of them probably had Pasturella (because everyone tells me they would die :roll: ) but if you have the room to keep it separate I wouldn't hesitate to wait to see how things turn out. It's worth a life...

After seeing how quick it can spread, definitely tread lightly. I had one that carried it, but never sneezed or really showed any traditional signs. I got her from a breeder that was having some odd issues (like eating the fur from herself and her kits - I suspected nutrient deficiency and thought I had confirmed that when all her fur came back with a diet change)... her one and only litter with me was born with weird milky blisters. Some theories were tossed around on here - anything from fire ants to pasteurella - so I waited it out. At about 4 week old I heard a small sneeze but didn't see anything. The blisters had turned to crusty areas, never really "healing." A week later all heck broke loose with one kit sneezing to the point it was covered in snot (as were those around it). It.was.bad. I culled the entire litter and the doe that day. Never heard a sneeze from the doe, or saw the tell tale white snot, but obviously it was a carrier since it's entire litter (6 or 8) had at least one blister, many having multiples from day 1.

(That wasn't the one that spread, it was actually a buck I got the same day that showed symptoms as soon as I got him home... it spread to my other Cali buck. My son was devastated when he had to be culled. It scarred me enough that I have only brought one or two rabbits in since then, and it was because I only had one buck to work with).

Easy Ears":lk107vzb said:
I respectfully disagree with the others. Before you cull the poor thing, if it was mine, I would give it a fair shot at life. I've had many different rabbits with runny noses in all colors and all of them survived. I do realize that none of them probably had Pasturella (because everyone tells me they would die :roll: ) but if you have the room to keep it separate I wouldn't hesitate to wait to see how things turn out. It's worth a life...

They do NOT always die, this is exactly how carriers end up at shows and other places. I know you're young and never had an illness wipe your rabbits, but this is why it is SO important not to tolerate disease and illness. Colored snot is a BIG warning sign, the rabbit is ill, it may be spread to others, you can wipe out 20 years of work in an instant bringing a sick one to a show...please think a little more and WARN any one that buys from you that you treat rather than terminate sick like that. It is VERY important.

He was taken care of but not before another ND came down with it. Different breeder but obviously rode in my car together and were in the quarantine area together until the other one got symptoms. So now first of, what do I do about my carriers? What is the best way to ensure they I don't spread it via the carriers? Second, should I now assume every rabbit that rode in that car back with subject zero is infected? Anything I need to do or just watch? Also, how do I ensure I am not spreading it between my regular herd and the quarantine area? I wash my hands and if I have to handle the quarantine rabbits, I make sure I change my sweater/top before going back to the regular herd. Ugh I hate how this is spiraling...

powellanimals":um5bfcuf said:
He was taken care of but not before another ND came down with it. Different breeder but obviously rode in my car together and were in the quarantine area together until the other one got symptoms. So now first of, what do I do about my carriers? What is the best way to ensure they I don't spread it via the carriers? Second, should I now assume every rabbit that rode in that car back with subject zero is infected? Anything I need to do or just watch? Also, how do I ensure I am not spreading it between my regular herd and the quarantine area? I wash my hands and if I have to handle the quarantine rabbits, I make sure I change my sweater/top before going back to the regular herd. Ugh I hate how this is spiraling...

Do you have any more that were in the car with them? Or are you referring to other people's animals? Definitely touch the quarantine area last. You can clean the carriers (others can chime in for best disinfectants to use), then leave them out in the sun for a while to further kill off any germs. You'll need to sanitie their cages/hutches and anything they came in contact with, including feeders and waterers. I did a big bucket of bleach water, let them soak for a while, then rinsed and air dried on the roof of the hutch (which gets full sun most of the day). Thankfully it never spread to the other rabbits I had already moved to the new rabbit area across the yard.

heritage":21cmrwjm said:
powellanimals":21cmrwjm said:

Do you have any more that were in the car with them? Or are you referring to other people's animals? Definitely touch the quarantine area last. You can clean the carriers (others can chime in for best disinfectants to use), then leave them out in the sun for a while to further kill off any germs. You'll need to sanitie their cages/hutches and anything they came in contact with, including feeders and waterers. I did a big bucket of bleach water, let them soak for a while, then rinsed and air dried on the roof of the hutch (which gets full sun most of the day). Thankfully it never spread to the other rabbits I had already moved to the new rabbit area across the yard.

Thank you! Yes, I have other rabbits that I also transported with the infected one in my car. They are in quarantine and not exhibiting signs but obviously that doesn't mean much.

powellanimals":hli9ie4e said:
heritage":hli9ie4e said:
powellanimals":hli9ie4e said:

Thank you! Yes, I have other rabbits that I also transported with the infected one in my car. They are in quarantine and not exhibiting signs but obviously that doesn't mean much.

If it were me, I would restart the 30 day quarantine after everything is cleaned up in your quarantine area, just to be safe. Pretty much 30 days after last known exposure.

Latest posts

Back