white/blue patches in iris, not sure if it's genetic.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mryarra

Reaction score
I have a spayed female Netherland dwarf. She isn't really a friendly/cuddly rabbit, and I've tried to respect that, so I hadn't really gotten a good look at her eyes in a long time. She has a large blue/white patch on her left iris, and two very small wispy patches on her right. I think the left one has been there for a while, I'm not sure about the right. Maybe they've always been there, but I haven't noticed until now.

I did some research and it may be the Vienna gene. She does have the fur markings.
1512749_789758794372658_961857476_n_zps7c396cbf.jpg

I managed to get a picture of the left eye. The lighting isn't great, and the reflections are a little distorted, but it's a normal brown eye, except for the lower right
20140117_193629_zpsbe80cc7f.jpg

I'm hoping this is just a cool genetic effect and not something I should be worried about. It was recommended that I show it to a forum with breeders and people with more experience with the Vienna gene to make sure this is normal. Opinions would be appreciated. :)

Even without the vienna gene sometimes you randomly get odd blue effects. It's probably somewhat genetically linked but doesn't show up with any known predictability. Although it does seem much more likely with the vienna gene present and somewhat more likely with dilute or chinchilla than other colors.

Definitely looks like Vienna effects and nothing to worry about. She's very cute! :)

Latest posts

Back