White and Californian Satins

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatinsRule

Reaction score
I'm off to eastern Kansas in the wee hours of the morning on Tuesday to pick up some breeding stock of Cal and White Satins. For the most part, the nucleus of my breeding program should be in place after I do so.

Well, it was somewhat cold most of the trip (25-39 degrees), but I made it back in one piece, barely.

The last 200 miles of the more than 1200 miles I drove on Tuesday was thru an almost steady rain, and on I-40 at night from western to central Arkansas, that's not a good thing. But give God all the credit, I made it home unscathed.

I picked up 5 whites (2 bucks and 3 does) and 3 Cals (2 does and 1 buck). I would be lying if I said they unseated the blacks and reds I already picked up in IL, but I got some solid rabbits to start out with. I do believe the blacks and reds are going to be my bread and butter when it's all over with.

And one more thing I learned along the way--I'm too darned old to be behind the wheel for most of 27 hours, which is how long the trip took. From now on, if the trip is more than 6 hours one way and I can't take at least one night to spend on the road to break up the wear and tear of travelling, I'm staying at home, and that goes for shows, as well. The trip from KC to my home last night should have taken right at 7 hours. It wound up taking 12 hours.

Congrats on your new stock! Also are you Billy or just another Satin person in Arkansas that takes huge trips for their breed? LOL :)

Lauren

Glad you made it back alright. It's good to realize your limitations before something happens, so your reflecting on the trip was wise. :)

Congratulations on the new buns!

HendricksHearth":1dyeanxa said:
Congrats on your new stock! Also are you Billy or just another Satin person in Arkansas that takes huge trips for their breed? LOL :)

Lauren

Yeah, I'm Billy. For some reason, I wound up being signed out of my account here recently and couldn't get any feedback or help with resetting my password, so I created another account.

The unfortunate thing is that I had to take some rather lengthy trips to get started the right way, as there just aren't any satin breeders local to me in eastern Arkansas. Doing so was not only expensive and time consuming, but dangerous and very tiring. When I was all of 20 years old, that was one thing. Now that I'm 46, different story.

There haven't been very many times in my lifetime when I've been more exhausted than I was Wednesday morning when I got home after 6 a.m. I'm still dumbfounded that I made it home unscathed, and I probably spent a good 3-4 hours of the trip just trying to get refreshed enough to continue on the trip. It's just plain reckless and poor judgment to get behind the wheel when you're as tired as I was, but it's what I was stuck with, THEN I had to work 11 hours at my place of employment. I was totally beat when I got home from work last night.<br /><br />__________ Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:44 pm __________<br /><br />
Anntann":1dyeanxa said:
That was quite a trip. I hope you can take a couple of days to just relax and recover.

That will happen Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. The place I work is closed for New Year's starting Friday at 2 p.m.

Welcome home Billy! I totally understand your situation with trying to get going with some nice stock and not having much in the area- I am still working on that problem myself with Harlequins. Glad you made it home safe though and I like your new username. :)

Best of luck with the new gang,

Lauren

I'll admit that I don't know a good harlequin from a bad one, but I've been a bit surprised at the numbers at the shows I've attended. There were plenty of them at the Music City RBA south of Nashville on Labor Day weekend, and surprisingly there was a good showing of them at the AR State Fair, as well. 25 years ago, you never saw them anywhere around here.

Hey SatinsRule/Billy,
I am glad you got what you were looking for
and made it home safely.
If you ever want to take a longer trip,
come and see me in upstate New York.
I have some very nice satins and that's the only breed I have.
I would be glad to help you out with a few! :-D
I guess you'd call that just a little Satin humor!
Too bad you didn't live closer.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":24iug9up said:
Hey SatinsRule/Billy,
I am glad you got what you were looking for
and made it home safely.
If you ever want to take a longer trip,
come and see me in upstate New York.
I have some very nice satins and that's the only breed I have.
I would be glad to help you out with a few! :-D
I guess you'd call that just a little Satin humor!
Too bad you didn't live closer.

The breeder in IL acted like he totally understood where I was coming from in driving as far as I did to get his rabbits. The ones in KS acted a little surprised that someone would actually drive that far to do so.

I got a mammoth white buck which will probably tip the scales at somewhere between 10-11 pounds. He has good type and density of coat, which are things I look for in my satins regardless of which variety we're talking about. The cals I got are strictly going to be project rabbits. It will probably take a while longer to bring them along in my program than it will with the blacks, reds or whites.

I know one thing. I'll be in bed a while later Saturday morning than I was either yesterday or this morning. I'm still exhausted.

Wow, really? I need to mapquest how far those shows are this upcoming year. I won't be able to attend many as I am in an accelerated nursing school program for the next 16 months, but I haven't been able to find any Harlequins in a 2 hour drive in any direction or get transport arranged so far. I thought I was going to be able to get some from Michigan recently, but the other people involved in the travel fell through and as far as I know I am the only one in my state with the breed at the moment. Thanks for the head's up!

Also, would love to see pics of the new gang once they are settled in. Your last group looked very nice.

Lauren

Yeah Maggie, it was kind of wierd. There was a brief power outage at my house one night a week or so ago, and I found myself signed out. I tried everything I could think of to get signed on, but I eventually got locked out when I entered the wrong password. It's all good, though. I kind of like my new forum name anyhow!!!

And my signature line has been updated per your suggestion.

Excellent! We prefer people not to have to re-register because it does create confusion, but I'm glad you are happy with the outcome, Billy. :) MidnightCoder is looking into the issue in case other people have similar problems and will likely post an announcement about it soon. I can always be reached via email at [email protected].

I believe that the Californian Satin is the most beautiful of the rabbit world.To me there is no rabbit as pretty as a Californian Satin with dark markings and great sheen.Genetically speaking, the Californian should be an all black rabbit. However, this color gene is a heat sensitive gene.

I finally got around to taking pics of the whites and cals. The whites are all named after pro wrestlers.

First up is Lil Nature Boy:Lil Nature Boy.JPG

Next, is the biggest buck of the bunch, aptly named "Big Show". He has a urine mark on his forehead which is slowly getting better. He was the victim of some urine spray at his old digs:Big Show.JPG

The first of the does is named Maryse, big on sass and has a great, dense coat of fur:Maryse.JPG

This next doe is IMHO the best of my white does, named Stratus:Stratus.JPG

The last white doe is named McCool. She has better type than Maryse, but doesn't have quite the depth that Stratus has:McCool.JPG

The first cal is a doe named Lia. She is named after her earmark:Lia.JPG

The last picture is of Lia's littermate sis, named Libby. She doesn't have near the type that Lia has, but should make a good brood doe:Libby.JPG

I didn't take a pic of the cal buck, BK. Ever since I got him home, he's been nursing some sore hocks, and he's in a rather significant moult. Trust me when I tell you that he has good type.

Well Billy,
you've got some very nice Satins there.
Natch looks good but I think that {Little Peewee] Big Show
looks just a little bit better.
Maryse, well, she looks like a Maryse.
Stratus, well she looks GREAT! McCool well yes, she looks like a McCool.
Lia looks good, but what is that black circle around her ear?
Libby has the same thing, did their ears get cold?
I can't wait to see the pics of your Californians.
You are off to a great start there, in fact you will
corner the market on Satins in your neck of the woods.

The Cals were very light on color when I picked them up, and we've been having some rather cold weather here of late. Those rings around the bases of her ears are just sections which have turned to a darker color sooner than the rest of it. The point colors are notably darker now than they were 3-4 weeks ago.

I am strongly leaning toward going to Peoria next month, and will look for a couple of Cals to kind of jump start my cal program. What I have really isn't lousy, but it isn't what the other 3 varieties are.

LNB is a little lacking in size, but I bought him for his rise at the loin and overall type. Big Show is solid as a brickbat, as is Stratus. The rest aren't bad, but they aren't what The Show is, either.

Latest posts

Back