Which Hay ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassdawg

Reaction score
Hi
I would like to know if Western Timothy hay is more green an regular Timothy hay has thicker stems an not as green . Is one better than the other ? My Holland seems to like the Western better .
Thanks for your help

feed whichever grass hay they'll eat more of :)
Pet raabbits usually need lower protein than working rabbits and should get a fair few of their daily intakein roughage ...
timothy hay of any sort is great for that :)

I really dont think there is much of a difference between Timothy, Western Timothy & Orchard. The only main difference is with Alfalfa hay, which is higher protein. I give my buns Timothy & occasionally Alfalfa mixed through (they love Alfalfa and will eat it like candy and forsake their feed, so I have to limit it).

Mine really love the alfalfa, but not to the point that they ignore pellets. No one around here really grows timothy but you can find it wild. I wont buy it in the stores because it never looks very appetizing to me. However, we got three cuttings out of our forty acres of alfalfa this year so that's my only option.

I've found after a few weeks to a month of free feeding really desireable hay they will slow down and start to eat more variety again. I had the same thing when I got my first rabbits and gave them unlimited pellets. They were used to a limited amount so they inhaled everything they could get. A couple champagne does gave me tons of trouble in colony from knocking down buckets of feed and eating several pounds and then managing to get to a bag, tear it open, and eat half between them. Now they only eat maybe a cupful max because they have realized the feed is not going anywhere.

Latest posts

Back