Which color buck should I use?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ_K

Reaction score
I have a black vm Netherland Dwarf doe that was born November 27th 2021. I am planning on breeding her the end of next month and wanted to know if anyone can help predict what color kits I might get if I used either a Chinchilla buck or a Black Otter buck. Ideally I want a litter with the largest range of colors.

BLACK aaB_C_D_E_
CHIN A_B_chd_D_E_
BLACK OTTER at_B_C_e_

the simplest breeding is otter x black.
it will definitely give you otter and, depending on the recessives carried by either parent,
you could get self.
If there are brown, or dilute genes in both parents you could get chocolate. blue, or lilac.

With the chin buck you could get chin if the doe carries either chin or REW (albino)
otherwise you'll likely get all chestnut (castor)
if the buck carries self (a) and the doe carries REW, you could get self chins,
which LOOK pretty much like regular self in my herd.

Thank you! My main goal is to get the largest variety of colors. I do not show but do sell my bunnies. Good quality Netherland dwarfs are hard to find in my area and are in very high demand. Would a BEW be possible with these colors?

The way to get get BEW is to breed two rabbits that each have at least one copy of the vienna gene. Since a rabbit can carry <v> without showing it, it's possible that one of your bucks carries it.
If so, you could get BEW kits.
If not, you may get a kit or two that are VM; if you bred one of those back to your VM doe, you *should* get roughly 25% BEW bunnies, 50% VM and/or VC, and 25% non-vienna.
If you want a variety of colors, using VMs (or VCs) is better, since once you have actual BEWs that's all you'll get unless you cross them to other colors (BEW x BEW = 100% BEW).
BEW x VM (or BEW x VC) will theoretically give you 50% BEWs.

Latest posts

Back