Which breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Section10

Reaction score
It's been 10 years since I raised rabbits as livestock and this summer I intend to get back into it on a small scale. I had 6 hutches back then and that was enough for me. I can build my own hutches and I really don't have any questions as to rabbit raising, the only problem I have is I cannot decide on a breed.
Not interested in the mini's. Probably not going to get into showing. I want something that's medium sized for meat. There's only 2 of us. Maybe process and sell a few locally. I am also thinking about getting into tanning some. I'd like something with a colorful fur. I'm thinking about harlequins, but they seem kind of hard to come by. I'm on a fixed income and money is an issue. I also live in a cold climate and winters are bitter.
Any suggestions?
thank you

If you're not into showing then I'd suggest mutts :)

Crossng my super sweet, blue harlequin Mini Lop house bunny (who carries self, shaded and non extension) has given me all sorts of wonderful colours in the 5 to 8 pound range.

If you only want harlequins then find a Harli buck from a smaller breed and cross him to NZ reds or a Sandy Flemish

I agree, crossing any two medium sized rabbits should be alright. You would just want to avoid anything with dwarf genetics. (Holland lop, netherland dwarf, really small mini rex, that kind of thing )

My own cold hardy mutts are Lilac, Silverfox, Flemish Giant, and New zealand crosses.

Standard rex can carry a lot of colors and usually add beautiful fur density if mixed.

Maybe we could get a list going of good breeds to cross?

Yeah, my mutts are the most colorful I've got so far. But if you want pure breeds then

American Chinchilla

Palomino

NZ: black, red, white, and broken patterns

Standered rex come in just about any color

l personally like the standered rex more because I'me also in the fur business and rex offer more in that department.

For crosses I vote champagne d'Argent and French angora cross, but they don't fit in the medium size category by a long shot.

Medium meaters I'd go with Dutch, but the new mini Satins my MIL got would produce a lot of colors and are so large for their breed I seriously doubt either carry the dwarf gene.

I fully agree, but I do think they make wonderful crosses if your already working with the breed and are comfortable with the extra care they require. The best part of it is unless the short haired parent is carrying a wool gene, the kits are short haired. (Old info for most of the members, but I put it here for those that aren't genetic savvy.) you would run into it if you kept any to breed back, though.

I love my Rex bunnies. They have great dispositions, come in tons of different colors and make great meat buns with the added bonus of a valuable pelt. I keep mine outside year-round and it will sometimes not get above freezing for days in the winter and frequently over 100* in the summer.

Sorry I waited so long Section10,
Did you ever have a trio of Satins?
They "in my Opinion" would be your best bet!
Though I may be just a tiny bit biased.
They come in a variety of colors and Broken.
You can't go wrong with a Satin!
Ottersatin.

Latest posts

Back