where would you add a new breeding pair

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTJeff

Reaction score
I have wanted to add a second breeding pair to my rabbitry, but am not confident with linebreeding so my question is
where in the process would you get another breeding pair, assuming that I use this flowchart attached?

1694481116709.png

I'm thinking from D & F or J & H because with both pair, you are getting a 50:50 contribution to the kits produced
Please share your thoughts on this, and this isn't a thread to discuss the pro's/cons of line breeding. that topic is elsewhere

I don't know from experience but I just three family spiral aka clan breeding with chickens. I don't see why it wouldn't work with rabbits? Always the important thing is keep records and only breed the best to the best with complimentary traits and cull all bad personalities no matter how pretty.

I run a basic spiral mating system as well, although mostly i keep using outside bucks still (want some more colors for one). So an extra breeding pair would just be a new bloodline in that system.
This chart would just confuse me to much to use it properly, but i suspect i have more animals to start with if i understand the chart correctly.

I use both line breeding and breeding other related rabbits (ex. Half sibling to half sibling and such) and mainly just get a new Buck or Doe when we need a new one because one is too old or need a new rabbit with a specific color

My strategy has also been simpler, I just swap out my buck for unrelated every 2-3 generations or so. I am breeding purely for meat at the moment, however so I am not super concerned with mistakes. In essence that would be at about D&F as you propose, so I think that is a great strategy.

I breed primarily for feeding my family, but want to promote my breed as well so I try TRY to breed to the arba standard... 2 birds with one stone really, the standard makes for a meatier rabbit. Then when I get kits that are too nice for the freezer- lovely personalities, excellent confirmation...I can sell them on in good conscience and hopefully introduce someone else to these lovely heritage rabbits. I don't mind culling the little jerks near as much!

thank you all who commented.

Jani: I'm not sure what you mean by "ARBA standard" because i went to the site and didnt find anything other than what would constitute "standard" for each breed for judging/exhibiting. If you have a link, that would be of a great help

eco2pia: I would also like to swap out my buck every so often, but I havent found many breeders still active in my area

rabbitofthecreek: my buck is getting a bit long in the tooth, thats why i'm trying to figure out where I should replace the original

tambao: the chart took me several sessions to get it straight, but after you take each pair it becomes clear, like mud...

If anyone else has some experience with linebreeding with the goal of getting another breeding pair from the original, please chime in

H
thank you all who commented.

Jani: I'm not sure what you mean by "ARBA standard" because i went to the site and didnt find anything other than what would constitute "standard" for each breed for judging/exhibiting. If you have a link, that would be of a great help

eco2pia: I would also like to swap out my buck every so often, but I havent found many breeders still active in my area

rabbitofthecreek: my buck is getting a bit long in the tooth, thats why i'm trying to figure out where I should replace the original

tambao: the chart took me several sessions to get it straight, but after you take each pair it becomes clear, like mud...

If anyone else has some experience with linebreeding with the goal of getting another breeding pair from the original, please chime in
Hihi the ARBA standard is a published book, I got mine from all things bunnies but ARBA sells it. It is the standard used at rabbit and cavie shows, there is one section in the book for each breed and what they are looking for. Very helpful to have and it isn't expensive.

Latest posts

Back