Where to put the cages?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basenji43

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to keep rabbits in my garage. It is insulated so it stays cool in the summer and warmer in the winter, I live in MN. One of the concerns I have is the rabbits being scared by the garage door opening and closing and possibly exhaust exposure even though the garage door would obviously be open when the car is started. I don't have any rabbits yet, I'm still in the planning stages so suggestions are needed.

I would not keep them in a garage that you actually use for parking your car in. The noise will frighten them and the exhaust would be very bad for them....JMHO...

Glad to "meet" a fellow Basenji-lover!

Other than what you've stated, my concern would be lack of sunlight.

Where I am, there are constantly ads on kijiji giving away free sheds and greenhouses. Check out your local classifieds to see what you have available.

I opened the KW Cages website and the picture on the first page is of cages inside of a garage. It's nice and bright in there - nothing like my own. Seems like they don't have their car in their though.

Would it be possible to park your car outside? Or build a car port?

Attachments

• RABBITECHWEBBANNER.jpg
    RABBITECHWEBBANNER.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 694
You might want to contact Trinity Oaks. I think she keeps her rabbits in the garage, but I don't know if she keeps her car in there. Rabbits get use to re-occurring noises fairly quickly. Consider thunder, lawn mowers, banging doors. I would think it might be more of a problem when you bring the car in and out. If you opened the door before you started the car and backed out immediately it might be OK, and were careful to shut it off as soon as you bring it back in. Still, this is conjecture, hopefully some of those with experience in this area will comment.

Pink":2o8nrjwr said:
Glad to "meet" a fellow Basenji-lover!

Other than what you've stated, my concern would be lack of sunlight.

Where I am, there are constantly ads on kijiji giving away free sheds and greenhouses. Check out your local classifieds to see what you have available.

I opened the KW Cages website and the picture on the first page is of cages inside of a garage. It's nice and bright in there - nothing like my own. Seems like they don't have their car in their though.

Would it be possible to park your car outside? Or build a car port?

That picture shows a very clean tile floor...I don't think they are pulling a car in and out of that garage everyday... ;)

I think as long as the area was well lighted, the lack of sunlight should not be a problem, but the lack of adequate ventilation in an enclosed space, that would be a problem....

I keep mine (I have 9 mini rexes) in the garage but do we do not keep any cars in the garage. We have fans and a portable air conditioner in our garage. The garage door is lifted about 1 inch off the ground to allow for ventilation. I completely change out the shavings about every other day so there is very little odor.

As for the garage door, we do open and close the door (automatic door) when we are cleaning the cages. The rabbits quickly adjust to the noise. We also keep a radio playing all the time so sudden noises don't bother them much.

We take our rabbits out to a playpen in the yard so they get plenty of sunshine. We also have windows in our garage door so they get sunlight that way too.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them!

starting a car in the garage. There is fumes and it sits there. Carbon dioxide(Sp)you cant smell it or see it. It sits in pockets. NOt good for you or any living thing,..Rabbit should be outside with north wind blocked and the hot sun. THey thrive outside better than any building no matter how great it is.

Thanks everyone for the advice! We just got 2 eight week old Flemish Giant does on Friday. We decided to keep them in the basement instead of the garage. They are doing great and the basement seems to work great.

Latest posts

Back