When to stop unlimited feed for 8 month old buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

Reaction score
Our buck (Sam, New Zealand Red) is now almost 8 months old. Since we had gotten him as a baby we have offered him unlimited feed. He weighs almost 9 lbs now. Is it time to limit his daily pellet feed? If so, what is the typical amount for a NZ buck? Any limits on hay?

If he's 9 pounds, I'd say cut back his feed to about a cup a day. I admit to not being exact - I actually use an old tuna fish can. But it holds about a cup.

Unlimited hay and plenty of water and he should be a happy camper.

Good luck.

I would have done so 2 months ago. More important for a doe though. I would start cutting pellets at about 4-5months for a doe. If they pack in too much fat before breeding they have trouble getting pregnant.

here are a few pictures of him from yesterday [album]3229[/album][album]3228[/album]... took me a while to get them to upload.... seem to have issues uploading pictures to the website for some reason... he weighs 8.4 lbs right now.... started to put him on a "diet" of 4 oz of feed (half in the am, half in the pm) plus free hay plus a few treats here and there....

We free feed until 12wks, then they go on a rationed amount. You should feed by weight of feed, not volume of feed. Rule of thumb is 1/2 to 1oz per lb of weight of the rabbit. Weigh your feed to determine how much to feed.

He looks to be in good shape and not overweight, actually in the pictures it looks like he might be a tad on the lean side :shrug:

If he is maintaining this condition being free-fed I would worry 1 cup a day is not enough and you may need to increase the amount

Some rabbits just have faster metabolisms and need more feed to keep a good weight - but this is not a desirable trait in meat rabbits :x you want to get the most muscle with the least amount of food to reduce costs

Back