When to clean the nestbox with new kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got metal nest boxes from the last show and the bottom is mostly a big hole where something soft but firm sits. I put a small layer of pine shavings on the bottom then I just fill the rest up with hay

as long as it isn't soaked in pee then you are fine to keep it. that's what i do and i my 15 years of raising i have never had nest box eye.
Alright. Thank you. Also my rabbit didn't use the nest box, instead she flipped it and is using the side of it. Should I wait until the babies are 2 weeks old before taking the nest apart and moving her to a bigger cage or should I wait till they are 2 weeks old?

I would wait until they are hopping around, but I've also never had an issues with moving a nest/relocating a mama and kits. They do still need a nest though. I see my kits using it until they are at least 4 weeks old. That's about when I give the nest a total refresh and they can start sleeping on just hay and bedding (no more fur). In the winter, the kits still get a deep bed of hay. I've had a couple does not use a box, but build their nest in the sleeping area of a hutch, so I put a board to sort of barricade the kits in one area that they know is their nest. Eventually they hop out and start exploring, but they still go back to that area to cuddle and sleep and mama knew where to find them to feed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220214-012633.png
    Screenshot_20220214-012633.png
    473.3 KB · Views: 5
I would wait until they are hopping around, but I've also never had an issues with moving a nest/relocating a mama and kits. They do still need a nest though. I see my kits using it until they are at least 4 weeks old. That's about when I give the nest a total refresh and they can start sleeping on just hay and bedding (no more fur). In the winter, the kits still get a deep bed of hay. I've had a couple does not use a box, but build their nest in the sleeping area of a hutch, so I put a board to sort of barricade the kits in one area that they know is their nest. Eventually they hop out and start exploring, but they still go back to that area to cuddle and sleep and mama knew where to find them to feed.
Aahhhh I see. What about cleaning the nest? How does one do so without completely destroy it? Nd how would I put it back? Bcz i have offered her a nest box of some sort and she still continues to refuse it. She even bit me a few times to let me know she didnt like anything I offered.

Aahhhh I see. What about cleaning the nest? How does one do so without completely destroy it? Nd how would I put it back? Bcz i have offered her a nest box of some sort and she still continues to refuse it. She even bit me a few times to let me know she didnt like anything I offered.
My rabbits are clean enough to where the box doesn't need cleaned till after the kits can walk around a bit normally. Why do you want to clean it?

My rabbits are clean enough to where the box doesn't need cleaned till after the kits can walk around a bit normally. Why do you want to clean it?
Yeah. I still haven't cleaned the blood that's near the nest. That's why I'm asking. I dont know if I should wait a few more days or clean it today. (They are a week old)

Ah ok. If it's not a big spot, you could probably try and take it out
I have no idea how big it is tbh. I'm just more concerned the ones closer to the kits but judy doesnt let me move the bedding around
She let's me touch them yeah but when it comes to actually removing bedding, she fights. It was hard enough cleaning the toilet side and the food area.

You can try giving her a treat or waiting till you feed her and then try cleaning out the soiled hay. I usually pick out the bloody clumps or any leftover placenta/afterbirth. In my nest areas and boxes, I start with a layer unscented shredded paper or pelleted paper like carefresh, then a layer of yellow straw and then a layer of Timothy hay. Then mama does the rest. After the babies are born, and I need to clean out the whole thing, again usually around day 12-14, I do the same thing as before, and then make a bowl shaped hollow and put any salvaged fur in it, then put the kits back in. It's always helpful to give mama a treat to distract her when checking on babies.

Awesome! I have a pair myself! Shadow is a purebred but I've been told Judy is a half netherland and half Holland lop but she looks more purebred then mix. How many do you have?
I have one foster that I won't breed and he's a Flemish giant (I think) and Lionhead mix

I have ten Netherlands, and I had eleven but we put one down last night

I have one foster that I won't breed and he's a Flemish giant (I think) and Lionhead mix

I have ten Netherlands, and I had eleven but we put one down last night
Oh no! Why? If you dont mind me asking.

That's alot of Netherlands 😂😂 I'd probably be good with just at least 7 Netherlands lol.

How is it having one of those around? Is it real hard work and do they eat ALOT ALOT or not as much as the internet makes it seem?

The poor baby must've been beautiful though (the fur)

(I'm sorry for the questions. )

Oh no! Why? If you dont mind me asking.

That's alot of Netherlands 😂😂 I'd probably be good with just at least 7 Netherlands lol.

How is it having one of those around? Is it real hard work and do they eat ALOT ALOT or not as much as the internet makes it seem?

The poor baby must've been beautiful though (the fur)

(I'm sorry for the questions. )
He was very skinny and wasn't good for breeding or for show, no one wanted to buy him then he developed eye boogers
Do you mean Rose? He doesn't eat as much as I thought
Couch used to be very pretty19744~2.jpeg

Back