When to butcher?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proper2

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
I have a question about NW, when do you normally butcher the fryers, and do you give them the vacinations before or will that affect the quaulity of the meat
Thank you for the replys

I butcher between 8-12 weeks depending on how lazy I am. I do not vaccinate young ones, but do worm the breeding stock a few times a year. If you do vaccinate I believe it is safe to eat the meat if you wait a few weeks. I am sure other folks will know the exact time table for this. If you are raising the fryers above ground and in clean pens/cages etc then I do not see any need to vaccinate or worm them in that short period of time that they are alive.

Hi! Welcome to Rabbit talk! That virus doesn't seem to be present here in North America and generally most fryer rabbits here are not inoculated for anything. A good rule is to make sure the parents are though, plus worm and coccidiosis free before a litter is bred.That way the doe can pass on her antibodies to the nursing kits. Most people butcher by the weight of 5 pounds give or take a bit. So anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks.It is all personal preference and what you are needing!

Proper2, I just assumed you were in North America. It would be helpful if you added your country to your member profile so people can give you more relevant advice. In this case, I really have no information to draw on, but my gut feeling is that if your adult rabbits are disease-free, there would be no need to vaccinate fryers headed for butchering.

I do recommend that you practice very strict isolation procedures when bringing a new rabbit into your herd. It could save a lot of heartache!

In Canada because we don't need to vaccinate rabbits we are not as familiar with the proper process for this. Most meat animals I don't think are vaccinated here because of meat residue issues etc. However animals like puppies and such start getting shots around 6 weeks, would that be the same in rabbits for any breeders or pets you would keep? I personally would think if the doe was vaccinated and any new rabbits coming into your rabbitry were isolated and also already vaccinated then you won't need to do the fryers. I am not sure how bad this disease is there or how prevalent so perhaps your local agricultural office could give better answers for you.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if you DO have to vaccinate (I wouldn't do it if it's not needed or required) is that you should probably wait at least 30 days after the vaccination. I know that in the case of antibiotics or similar medications, a 30 day wait before butchering is highly recommended.

On an informational side note, myxomatosis has been found along the Pacific coast. Currently, there are no vaccinations available in the US for use in rabbits. Any innoculations given to a rabbit would be off label and considered illegal.

Here is an interesting link on Myxomatosis in the US: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 3&aid=3422

Thank you for the answers
How much meat can you expect from a 5 pound fryer?im talking about the NW
Thanks

Latest posts

Back