When to Breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basenji43

Reaction score
I have 2 Flemish Giant does that are both 7.5 months old and 1 Champagne buck that is 7 months old. I would like both does to be pregnant at the same time just in case one needs to help foster the other one's kits just in case. How should I go about this with one buck? Should I breed both does on the same day and give the buck a few hours rest between does? I would like to breed each doe as least twice to ensure that she took. I know you cant breed too far apart to prevent a double pregnacy. Should I breed doe one the first day and doe two the second day? Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

I often use the same buck on more than one doe, and I don't wait hours in between. He should be able to handle it just fine. If it is very hot, you might give him a half hour to an hour to rest. The first ejaculation will contain the most dead sperm, so I would let him cover the first doe three times and let him cover the second doe twice. You could let him do two covers, switch does, and then bring the first doe back for a last cover.

You are going to have to start checking your does for readiness by looking at the color of their vulvas. You want them to be dark pink or even purple. They will also be somewhat engorged by extra blood flow to the area. If they are whitish or pale pink they are not ready.

Some people have found that Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger Tea will bring does into season. If you only have two does it can be difficult to time their cycles (I couldn't seem to catch mine at the same time when I only had two), so giving the tea to both might be a good idea- it can't hurt, anyway!

Good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back