When should I place a nest box?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m wondering when you all put your nesting box in with your does? The first time around I put her box in at 28 days and it seemed perfect. She delivered 5 babies, 3 healthy and happy and 2 DOA. The next two times we bred her she aborted her litters at 21 days. Should I place her nesting box in sooner? Is she maybe stressed out and aborting early? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

I always put them in on day 28 or 29.
21 days is too early. I don't think there is any chance of them living that early, they aren't fully developed. Something else is going on.

Can animals pester the cages/hutches? Dogs, cats, raccoons, rats, mice, etc.

I always give it to them a week before their due day
I don't want to give it to them so close in case they have the Kits early
If they don't have them they get to keep the nest box for another week (I've had a Doe have her Kit a couple of days after he was due and he already had fur)

It would be a problem if your cages are small, but I keep wooden nest boxes in the cages almost year round. Even give one to my buck. They love their boxes and feel safe in them. It gives them a place to retreat if they are stressed and they are warm in the winter with straw stuffed in them. I do take them out in the hottest part of the summer for better air flow. I remove them for cleaning regularly and of course clean them a couple of days before kindling date. I've always done it this way and have never had any issues.

Back