when should a young Netherland Dwarf eat vegies an hay ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassdawg

Reaction score
Hi i just got a 4 month old Netherland Dwarf buck an i need to know when to feed him hay an vegies ? I read somewhere they should not have hay till they are 6 months old so i would like to know what to do .Is there a good link where i can go to ?
Thanks i appreciate your input .
Bill

Feed hay from day one. Feed greens in small amounts and slowly increase it.

I totally agree with ChickiesnBunnies. It is never too early to feed hay.

My rabbits eat hay while still in the nest tunnel and are eating greens as soon as their eyes open and they begin to explore. But in the case of a bunny that is already four months old and has never had greens, please go very slowly. A leaf or two for the first few days and then add a leaf or two a day... and build it up.

ok i guess 4 months is old enough i will feed her some vegies an hay not a lot little amounts ,thanks ,
Bill

Rabbits are herbivores, not vegetarians. Weeds such as dandelion, white or red clover, plantain, chicory, raspberry/blackberry/strawberry leaves, prickly lettuce and sow thistles are far superior for rabbits than garden vegetables. See the Safe Plants list in the Natural Feeding for Rabbits forum for ideas and botanical names.

Garden vegetables are less desirable. Many like carrots, beets and corn contain more sugar than is healthy on a regular basis. Other, such as cabbage, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, kale etc. can cause intestinal gas, which can be a problem. My rabbits have adjusted and can handle just about anything I throw at them, but they have several generations of natural feeding behind them and even so I am careful when it comes to fruits and garden vegetables.

Everyone always wants to feed carrots and apples and they are about the worst thing you can give a rabbit. The sugar profile is not only high but unbalanced making it most likely to upset the digestive tract. Carrots can cause an overdose of vit A. What you want are tough greens. If you buy from the grocery store go for herbs and things like cilantro, parsley, kale, swiss chard, collard greens.... Tough grasses and forages are preferable to even those though. Wild rabbits will happily browse on thorny tough bushes and love raspberry canes or safe tree branches.

Got any ragweed where you are? :D Bunnies LOVE young ragweed LOLOLOL

Latest posts

Back