When can I give babies grass N such?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireclaws bunnbutts

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to stick this. So here, you can have it o3o.

So the two adult rabbits are used to getting a handful of grass every couple days, and I think my doe is starting to miss it, since I stopped giving her grass as soon as her babies were eating solid food consistently(not to mention she looks at me like I've insulted her whenever I just give her her pellets), which they have been for about half a week. Because I wasn't sure what age babies can have things like that, they're 3 weeks old now and have been eating the hay more consistently than the pellets, but they do eat both.

I wasn't sure if their little bellies could handle grass yet, becaue no doubt they'll find it if I give their mom some.

Before anyone asks, no we don't use pesticides on our grass.

I feed my does grass and weeds throughout their pregnancy and I don't stop when the kits come out and start nibbling, so for me I feed them grass and whatnot right off the bat. Never had a problem.
Some of the greens that are really good to start with are dandelion leaves as they aid digestion and are good for kits anyway. If you're worried, start with them :)

Other good starter plants that are unlikely to cause GI problems are plantains, and black berry, raspberry strawberry or rose leaves.

Start slow if they have never had greens though, because, although some kits can handle fresh foods well, others struggle with it, and a struggle with a kit's digestion can quickly result in death.

My rabbits get greens as long as there is something green to be found. And hay. Only a handful pellets per day as treat (for returning to their hutch)

Nursing does get a handful pellets mixed with oatmeal daily, and a cooked potato besides lots of greens and hay.

The kits just start nibbling what the doe eats - I see no reason why grass should be a problem, it's simply the most natural thing to start on.

Just don't switch foods rapidly, if they are already used to pellets add greens slowly, if grass was always there when they started to nibble they'll have the right bacteria to digest that, if not they may need some time to adjust.

That's why I offer them all they are ever going to eat, as much diversity in food as possible. I use oats and pellets only as treat, exept for does that need calories.

I was wondering the same thing...Coco ate grass whenever she could get it and I wasn't sure if that was good or not. :roll: I know she was supposed to eat hay (and hay is grass, yes I know) but I'm pretty sure grass has a different effect than hay. Sooooo...?

If you want to feed your kits fresh greens, it is best to have them present from the day they leave the nest. At that stage they are only nibbling Momma's food and by starting out as you mean to continue, they naturally develop the gut flora they need to digest those foods.

If you have not started out with greens and the kits are eating other solid foods like pellets, you will have to introduce the greens slowly. The "safe starter greens" mentioned earlier in this thread will help get the kits used to greens in the safest way possible. BTW, in general safe broad-leafed weeds (dandelion, chicory, plantain, raspberry, strawberry and blackberry leaves etc.) are preferable to grass itself, although they can have some grass too.

Be sure to consult the Safe Plants sticky for more ideas.

Fresh greens are dangerous only when given in large amounts exclusively to a rabbit that has never eaten fresh greens before. This is why the advice is given to start rabbits SLOWLY on greens, and then to watch their poop to make sure they don't get diarrhea, which will likely kill them.

However, if you have a doe who is use to eating fresh greens and she has kits, it is okay to keep feeding her greens. The kits are nursing primarily from the doe, and may take small bites from whatever mom is eating. The doe is providing in her poop that the kits munch on, the bacteria for digesting those greens, hence transmitting the bacteria to the babies. So there are babies that are raised with fresh greens because the doe has been eating it all along.

If your baby hasn't ever had fresh greens, wait til they're 8 weeks old to even start giving them tiny pieces of greens, since they have no gut bacteria for digestion and have to grow it themselves. If you push the greens too fast and the bacteria isn't there to break it down, the rabbit will have diarrhea. In that case, stop feeding the rabbit the greens and go back to hay and oats to dry them up.

I see I was beaten to this.... LOL!

I, too feed greens right on through preg., kindling and kits emerging from the nest box.

Be warned! IT IS VERY, VERY CUTE to see a tiny kit nibbling huge leaves, so have a camera ready.

I didn't know about Rose leaves! I'll need to add those in.

I actually knew about roseleaves...but I forgot all about them! Of course, that is so me to remember rose leaves once I don't have a bunny to feed the leaves to. :rant:

We can certainly gather up some dandelions and raspberry leaves here, but is just random grass ok? Like a standard clover, rather wild looking lawn?
We have a large area that used to be garden (like 20 years ago) and I have left it long because there are tons of wild raspberry canes in it... that long grass is safe?
I'm sure there are a mix of plants, though... should I do a sampling and identify what is there?

I want to add greens for everyone but have been cautious!

My lawn, when there's nothing in flower, looks tasty and delicious as a selection of bunny treats. On closer inspection it's not at all... when the flowers grow in, you can see why. In amongst all the grass and dandelions and so on, is -tons- of buttercup, which is horrible.

That won't necessarily be the case for you, but I'm sharing that story so you are cautious at first, until you know what you have growing in amongst your nice grass and raspberry canes. Just double check what you're pulling up to give to your buns and if you see anything you don't recognise, give it a good thorough Googling before anyone gets any in their lunch, and if you aren't sure, leave it out. After a while you'll know what you have out there.

Yes, the long grass is safe - again, just introduce slowly if they've never had it before. Like Myrkari said, make sure to identify anything before feeding. When in doubt, err on the side of caution :)

Latest posts

Back