Wheat? Or something else?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
This might be wrong/crazy, but I'm considering putting in a patch of winter wheat. The idea would be to hang the wheat upside down in the dry, secure barn side room and collect the grain as it dropped. The rest would be straw or fodder.

Is wheat the best choice for this? Would I perhaps be better off with hull-less oats?

Any grain will work...I did oats last year and have barley out this year. I plan wheat for it next year. The cool thing is...both the bunnies and the chickens like it all.

I would think that the main consideration would be to choose a grain that does well in your area. Also take into consideration the preference of the rabbits - and chickens if you have any. Barley is considered by some as less digestible for poultry than wheat or oats, but it is fine for rabbits.

RJSchaefer":u0bw4381 said:
This might be wrong/crazy, but I'm considering putting in a patch of winter wheat. The idea would be to hang the wheat upside down in the dry, secure barn side room and collect the grain as it dropped. The rest would be straw or fodder.

Is wheat the best choice for this? Would I perhaps be better off with hull-less oats?

Why not just winnow the grains and then store the stalk as straw?

Frecs":20ml9w8k said:
RJSchaefer":20ml9w8k said:

Why not just winnow the grains and then store the stalk as straw?

:yeahthat: that's what I will do if I ever get around to tryin it myself

I did have oats pop up everywhere this year though and they grew beautifully until about two weeks ago when they all turned brown... I figured that meant the grain was done and it was dying back... all the oat hulls are like squishy-empty.... and no sign of any dropped oat seed. the hulls are intact. so just be warned you will want to do a small test with whatever kind you feed out to see if its a bust. your best bet will be to buy straight out seed oats or seed wheat, etc though.

Back