Wheat grass for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drowe005

Reaction score
I've recently starting growing wheat grass for my game birds and was wondering if anyone feeds this to their rabbits too. Also was wondering if buttercup flowers are ok? thanks

i'm fairly certian they can eat wheatgrass. i'm also thinkin of trying to grow it for the rabbits. :) buttercups, i dunno about them.

You can grow any grain and many lawn/pasture grasses for greens. We used to do tubs of bluegrass and oats all winter for the guinea pigs.

I've fed mixed-grain grass to my buns that includes wheat grass (grown from some of the grain feed they've spilled). Haven't started yet, but I want to grow it in trays for them so it's easier to cut it for them (and hubby can't get to it with the lawnmower before I get some cut).

I know Maggie grows trays of wheat grass in winter for her buns. We've got a pot of wheat, from which we've been cutting grass for the buns for weeks now. They go nuts for it!

Wheat grass is great for rabbits. :)

Buttercups, members of the Ranunculus family, are toxic, especially when fresh.

All Ranunculus species are poisonous when eaten fresh by cattle, horses, and other livestock, but their acrid taste and the blistering of the mouth caused by their poison means they are usually left uneaten. Poisoning can occur where buttercups are abundant in overgrazed fields where little other edible plant growth is left, and the animals eat them out of desperation. Symptoms include bloody diarrhea, excessive salivation, colic, and severe blistering of the mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. When Ranunculus plants are handled, naturally occurring ranunculin is broken down to form protoanemonin, which is known to cause contact dermatitis in humans and care should therefore be exercised in extensive handling of the plants.[3] The toxins are degraded by drying, so hay containing dried buttercups is safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranunculus#Toxicity

I feed mine the wheat grass that grows from the dropped wheat around the manure pile under my cages....it grows like crazy...

Latest posts

Back