What's Your Favorite Nesting Material

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
With hope my doe, Cream of Tartar, should deliver in the next few days. Going to place the nesting box tomorrow and was thinking about nesting material. I have pine shavings and hay, so that is what she's getting to make her nest.

So what's yalls top choices for nesting material? What's the pros and cons to your choice as well?

In the colder weather I too place Pine shavings in the nestbox along with Grass-hay.
In the warmer months I use only Grass-hay, of course it is cost effective since I
have a Farm close by where I can purchase affordable Hay.
Whatever your choice is, the Dam is going to leave/use whatever she chooses.
As long as she pulls enough fur ror weather conditions, all will go well!
We can only hope that She is a good mother.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

My favorite material is straw, with a handful of horse bedding pellets on the bottom to absorb moisture.

I use hay in the summer, since it's impractical to store an entire bale of straw just for nest boxes.

I just use timothy hay, and the doe pulls the fur to make it soft. :)

When I had my buns on the grass in tractor cages my doe pulled fresh grass for the bedding, but I had problems with the babies getting dirt in their noses, and I had to clean them (the noses) every day. Did like the fat that it was softer though... :|

I use pine shavings, Bermuda grass hay, and sometimes brown paper that I put through my document shredder. I also put a handful of pine pellets in the nest hollow (covered by fur/shavings) once the kits are kindled.

I also use cheap hay not the expensive pet store hay.

Today while examining 6 day old kits, I had one in my hand on its back. Suddenly it turned on the high pressure hose. The powerful stream reached my shoulder before I could redirect it. At first I was alarmed because it was milk color pee thinking high calcium but figured it's OK cause it only had milk to eat.

Usually shredded paper, hay is too precious around here for nest material.

forgot the pro, shredded paper is free

If you have grasses at all (un-sprayed lawn) or field... I would just gather a box full and dry it in advance. Breed her, gather the grass to dry and it'll be ready when she is due.

Latest posts

Back