What's yalls thoughts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I know a lot of people post pictures of the meat mutts in hopes that you, the group, can give some feed back. I know without actually placing your hands on the animal it can be hard. But I, like so many, would love yalls opinions on the keepers I have selected.

First is Taco Born 9/26/15. Sire: Tam (NZW) Damn: Mama (RK-70) Kept him as a second herd buck.
Taco.jpg
Taco (2).jpg

Doe 1 and Doe 2. Born 12/12/15. Sire: Cumin Damn: Mama (RK-70). Planning to use one to replace Tartar.
D1 (1).jpg
D1 (2).jpg
D2.jpg

__________ Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:12 pm __________

Doe 2. Born 12/12/15. Sire: Cumin Damn: Mama (RK-70). Planning to use one to replace Tartar.
D2 (1).jpg

Lavender Born 12/27/15. Sire: Cumin Damn: Rosa. Planning to keep as Izzy's pet and herd doe.
Lavender 1.jpg
Lavender 2.jpg

So that's what I've got. What's yalls thoughts? Meat production is the main focus. Lavender's mother has been a great mother so I'm hoping she'll have her mother's skills.

Granted, positioning is a lot, but Doe 2 looks to have pinched hindquarters. Notice the indentation by the tail in the hip area? That may bring on birthing troubles--or not. I don't know about Calis, but the NZs they want the rabbit to look like a basketball when positioned, like you could reach down and palm a rabbit.

Thought I'd post on this before it ages out, maybe a few experienced eyes will see it and jump in. I really like attempting to evaluate rabbits but I'm soooooo far from actually being able to that I'm putting a disclaimer here hahaha: /que-official-monotone-voice/ All statements that follow are mere opinion of a new rabbit owner. All statements are intended as practice evaluations of rabbits in pictures and no great value should be placed on content of afore mentioned statements! /end-official-monotone-voice/. In other words I don't really know how to do this so feel free to correct if you do!

I think the buck, Taco, looks decent. He doesn't have a big rise and it looks like he's a little undercut on the hindquarters; that could be hind foot positioning or missing meat. From above he looks about right, a bit of taper from back to front but not too bad, doesn't look pinched.

I like the look of the first doe but it's a little hard to see her true shape since her back feet are forward. They also look like extra large rabbit feet, I like them! :lol:. I think her body shape looks pretty good, round and full, not too dippy or lumpy (those are technical terms hehe).

The second doe looks dippy and lumpy, maybe she'll fill out as she gets older? I don't know how much they change beyond the 2ish month mark. She also looks long to me, and pinched in the front, kind of like a gourd shape. This might be from positioning, she looks a little stretched and maybe like she was pushing against your hand.

The third doe looks in between the first and second, a little rounder and fuller looking than the second but not quite as much as the first. Again, not a big rise over the hind quarters and slightly pinched from back to front but not dippy and lumpy.

If they were mine I think I'd be inclined to breed doe 1 and doe 3 and hold off on doe 2.

Having said all that I think the most important thing is to breed the ones you want and enjoy your bunnies! :D

Out of the does I prefer #1. It looks like she is the fullest through the loin and isn't significantly narrower through the shoulder. My least favorite is #3, She is not as rounded, although granted she is a bit younger. Her rise is flatter and she doesn't look meaty through her hips. It looks like doe #2 is pulling back from your hand so that may be making her look worse than she really is. I would like to see doe #2 again when she is not pulling back.

I'm also just guessing but I bet doe #3 will weight less than the other two does at the same age. Ideally meat rabbits should make a good nice smooth oval.

Keep in mind this is for adult rabbits. http://hillriserabbitry.blogspot.com/20 ... l?spref=fb

:oops: Posing them is new to me and them. :lol: :lol: They were all a little tiffed at me for making them do pictures. Doe 2 is filling out but she also hates being touched. Doe 1 is still filling in a little better and tolerates being handled. Lavender is filling out also. Her dam is a 10lb NZW/Chin and sire is a 9lb NZW/Cal. I have higher hopes for her second litter. No rodents this time and it will be her second litter. Fingers crossed.

wamplercathy":3hy2hwnw said:
:oops: Posing them is new to me and them. :lol: :lol: They were all a little tiffed at me for making them do pictures. Doe 2 is filling out but she also hates being touched. Doe 1 is still filling in a little better and tolerates being handled. Lavender is filling out also. Her dam is a 10lb NZW/Chin and sire is a 9lb NZW/Cal. I have higher hopes for her second litter. No rodents this time and it will be her second litter. Fingers crossed.

Haha I'm not good a posing them either. I'm still just learning as well, but that is what I saw. I've been working hard to improve my "eye".

I will say thus far I've had good luck with just keeping back the heaviest at weeks 8 and 10. I've much meatier rabbits now then when I started a bit over a year ago.

I agree that there might be some pinched hips in there... that's about all I can say :roll: - I do like a nice round, rabbit but I can't critique based on specific standards b/c I have a LOT to learn....

does doe 2 have that big of a gut in real life? if so I'd be sending her along to the meat market and keeping doe 1 and 3. 3 looks a bit young yet. if she has a sweet personality...she looks like she'll come along well enough to be a meat doe and a pet. :)

When I saw the pic of doe one i thought.. I could have that rabbit in my herd quite nicely. :)

Here is a paper that helped me learn.11149476_10205089598706509_3928330684626208725_n.jpg <br /><br /> __________ Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:24 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here is a rabbit with the kind of depth I like. Lots of meat on this rabbits loin.
12243193_10153880529597189_4195182276924121533_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back