What's wrong with Thumper?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaDani

Reaction score
Thumper is our house rabbit and is about 3-4 months old. Over the last month I've noticed that he seems to be clumsy. At first it seemed like if he stretched up on his hind legs, he'd fall over. But lately (maybe b/c I'm watching him closer??) it seems to be happening more. If he goes to clean his side or butt he falls over. Sometimes I hear a thump from his cage but sometimes he just rolls over. I've checked his ears as that was my first thought but they are clean and no mites. I haven't noticed a head tilt but he does lay on his side a little weird at times (picture below). Otherwise he seems fine. Do I just have a very ungraceful rabbit or is there something wrong with him? And if there's something wrong with him, what can I do for him without a vet visit? I run a home daycare and 2 of my 3 families moved this month so my income is currently a bit low.

2013-12-29144400_zps022e53a7.jpg
2013-12-29144842_zpsec43f66b.jpg

Treating for a month with fenbendazole dewormed can't hurt and if it is wry neck caused by E. cuniculi it will clear it up.

E. cuniculi is spread in urine.

Do you have other rabbits? Or clients with rabbits as the children could send it home or to your place if they are in any contact with infected urine.

I would guess that he is in the early stages of wry neck as well.

Miss M has a rabbit named Pinto that she has been treating for several months. Here is her thread about it, with lots of helpful links:

urgent-quick-question-t16045.html

Also, a breeder named Barbi Brown has been collecting data on different treatment protocols, and this is a link to her website:

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm

Thank you! I will go ahead and get Ivomec and Piperazine. The 1.87% of Ivomec is cheaper than the 1% (since I can buy a smaller container of it). Every little bit helps right now! Thumper is only 2 lbs so that would be about 1/10 cc of the 1.87%, correct? How in the world do you measure that!?
This is the Ivomec I'm getting (our local feed store is out of stock): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NT ... PDKIKX0DER

Dood- none of my daycare families have rabbits. The kids also don't have contact with Thumper. He's so tiny. I don't trust toddlers, even my own, with a tiny rabbit! We have more rabbits but Thumper is the only one inside and I'm very strict on the shoes I wear when I take care of the outside animals stay on the back steps and I always wash my hands before handling any of the rabbits.

MamaDani":38kybu6z said:
Thumper is only 2 lbs so that would be about 1/10 cc of the 1.87%, correct? How in the world do you measure that!?

I didn't check your math, but a standard 3cc syringe will have each cc divided into tenths- you will draw only to the first line.

Barbi Brown's site says: "Piperazine is a pin worm medicine and has no direct effect on E.C. but may help eliminate pin worms that can further debilitate the rabbit. It is not, however, critical to the treatment of E.C."

I would recommend treating with fenbendazole once a day at 20 mg/kg for at least four weeks, as Dood said. If it's wry neck caused by E. cuniculi, the faster you start treatment, the better chance he has of recovery.

I used Safeguard pellets for the fenbendazole... I think made for goats. The feed store owner thought I'd be able to measure it more precisely than the paste. I used about 1/3 ounce for a 5-lb rabbit, I believe (it's been a while)... there is some math to do to figure it out. If you give it this way, make sure to give him only his medicated pellets first, then give him his food when he has finished it.

My wry-neck rabbit still has a turned neck, in spite of almost immediate Ivermectin and next-day fenbendazole. His started off severe, though. Your bunny's isn't at this point, so hit it hard and hit it fast. :clover:

Pinto is well, except for the turned neck, and is now a spoiled house rabbit. He can't explore the house yet, so he splits his time between his open-top carrier and the various laps he finds himself in. He likes to sleep upside-down in a horseshoe or a donut shape. When he wakes up, he lets you know he's ready to go back to his carrier by grabbing and holding some part of your clothing. When he wants to be picked up, he will flop over onto his side. He does not want help eating or drinking any more, and he cleans himself quite well. :)

Ok. The feed store has the Safeguard pellets in stock so hubby is there now. I ordered the Ivermectin from Amazon and paid the extra to get it here by tomorrow (otherwise it would be Thursday). So I'll start the Safeguard today and the Ivermectin tomorrow.

Thank you again for the help! This morning I noticed Thumper laying like this, looks like he does have a little bit of a head tilt. I also noticed last night that he only falls over when he cleans his left side....which makes sense after seeing his head like this.
2013-12-30103545_zps60d62a74.jpg

You're welcome! We'll be pulling for him! :good-luck:

He may need help staying hydrated, so keep an eye on how well he's drinking. Do whatever you need to do to get him to eat the medicated pellets. We would soak ours in a bit of water, pineapple juice, or peach juice (I was desperate... stone fruits (drupes) are not generally rabbit-friendly). When the pellets were broken down, we'd mix it with canned pumpkin, applesauce, maybe a little blackstrap molasses, oatmeal... whatever would get him to eat it.

Maybe you'll get lucky and your bun will like the pellets! :p

If the head tilt does not go away, he will adapt. He will eventually get to the point at which he will not fall over very often at all, even when cleaning his left side. His head tilt doesn't look very bad, so he might end up constantly looking at you with a seemingly quizzical expression, head cocked a little to one side. Pinto's head tilt is pretty profound.

*update*
Thumper has been on Safeguard for 10 days now and has had 2 treatments of Ivermectin. He is showing a really good improvement. His balance isn't 100% better but I just watched him sit up on his back legs and butt and use both front paws to wash his face. He swayed quite a bit but didn't fall over! :D

YAY THUMPER!!! :bouncy:

Wonderful news! I hope he continues to recover!

That face-washing routine is complex, so it's great that he was able to swing it. Pinto cannot do it all at once like that, so he just does the best he can. Thumper has a great outlook, I think! :)

Latest posts

Back