What's up with this coat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrick

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This is Flopsie, he's a 1.5yo American Chinchilla. His coat has pretty much always looked like this, it makes him look shaggy and a little ragged, but he's not. I got him at 6mo of age, and the first time I noticed it was maybe 3mo later - I thought maybe he was rumpled from laying on the cage wire so I put in a resting tile, but it made no difference. He seems very healthy, nothing I can see wrong, he sires litters just fine (although the last 2 were small litters 3 and 1, but it was also summer in Arizona). I'm planning to streamline my breeders and have a buck I prefer (color, shape) so I am going to sell Flopsie and a couple of does - but I figure it's finally time to ask about his coat before I do list him. Can anyone identify particular issues I should check for, or maybe give a reason it looks like that no matter what I change? All my rabbits are on Country Companion 16% pellets, rations for bucks & non-lactating does, with plenty of access to alfalfa/timothy hay cubes (I toss in a few every time I notice the last ones getting small)
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
It could be constant overgrooming or fur loss, but could be molting (I wouldn't think so since it's been happening for so long, but)
If you grab a piece of fur from the edges and pull, can you pluck it off or does it seem stuck in?

It could be constant overgrooming or fur loss, but could be molting (I wouldn't think so since it's been happening for so long, but)
If you grab a piece of fur from the edges and pull, can you pluck it off or does it seem stuck in?
It's stuck in, not loose at all. I don't think it's molting either. None of his fur is thin anywhere so I don't think he's losing it, but it could possibly be over grooming - he doesn't get a lot of lady time (one of the main reasons I'm streamlining things. I bought more than I needed for starting out thinking my husband would help more; it doesn't seem fair to any of them for me to have so many bucks that don't get action very often. I haven't ever seen Flopsie groom (I've seen all the does groom regularly but not the bucks) but I have to say I wouldn't be surprised at all if he over-grooms himself out of boredom (or loneliness haha) and his coat is a result.

Latest posts

Back