What's up with this coat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrick

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This is Flopsie, he's a 1.5yo American Chinchilla. His coat has pretty much always looked like this, it makes him look shaggy and a little ragged, but he's not. I got him at 6mo of age, and the first time I noticed it was maybe 3mo later - I thought maybe he was rumpled from laying on the cage wire so I put in a resting tile, but it made no difference. He seems very healthy, nothing I can see wrong, he sires litters just fine (although the last 2 were small litters 3 and 1, but it was also summer in Arizona). I'm planning to streamline my breeders and have a buck I prefer (color, shape) so I am going to sell Flopsie and a couple of does - but I figure it's finally time to ask about his coat before I do list him. Can anyone identify particular issues I should check for, or maybe give a reason it looks like that no matter what I change? All my rabbits are on Country Companion 16% pellets, rations for bucks & non-lactating does, with plenty of access to alfalfa/timothy hay cubes (I toss in a few every time I notice the last ones getting small)
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
It could be constant overgrooming or fur loss, but could be molting (I wouldn't think so since it's been happening for so long, but)
If you grab a piece of fur from the edges and pull, can you pluck it off or does it seem stuck in?

Latest posts

Back