what's fair? Replacing Stock

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Had a person buy 4 young does from me today - Thing was she knew I personally would not be home and my non rabbit husband would be there to make the transaction. I sexed them last night and had 4 does. She traveled 2+ hours today. Purchased the rabbits and went home. I got a text from her about them being 2 bucks and 2 does. Mistakes happen... I offered to replace them. I may or may not have 2 other does. I have nest box kits she may have to wait for. She doesn't want to travel the 2 hours again. I said I would meet half way. I also suggested that she sell the bucks to recoup her loss and I'd replace them on a discount. She'd rather exchange.

Just wondering what you all do when replacing stock and if you'd replace in this instance. part of me says "too bad so sad" because she didn't check herself but I also did say they were does...(honestly, I still think they're does)

That sucks. I'd say Too bad, so sad. I always specify that I'll do my best to accurately sex the kits but mistakes can happen. I imagine if she wanted to drive all the way back I'd be willing to exchange but I wouldn't go out of pocket for her--unless you made $500 each for them, then I'd be more flexible. Mistakes happen and my feeling is I sell healthy, quality stock but there still is some onus on the buyer to satisfy themselves and ask their questions before they leave. And again if she wanted to make the effort to come back she's welcome to do so. Sorry this happened.

I'd replace the bucks with does, and I'd travel to meet her too. If she paid for does, she should get does. She really should have checked them herself before driving them two hours home, but buyers make mistakes too, just like sellers do.

When you get them back, you can always check them again yourself, to see if they really are bucks. If they are bucks, you will feel a lot better about replacing them.

I'd quarantine them in case they picked anything up at her place. That part makes the whole process of returning rabbits a rather huge pain...but :shrug: stuff happens.

I'd replace them if she made the drive herself. It's not your fault she lives so far and chose to drive that without sexing them before driving off. For all you know, she's incorrectly sexing them and you'd get stuck driving an hour to replace rabbits that were exactly as described. I *might* meet half way if she provided me a video or pictures of herself sexing the rabbit and it is clearly male. Without that though...

Well looks like she picked up some of the wrong stock - I have one of the does I'd marked for her still in the barn.... <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 pm __________ <br /><br />
Zass":1u2r06u1 said:
I'd quarantine them in case they picked anything up at her place. That part makes the whole process of returning rabbits a rather huge pain...but :shrug: stuff happens.

I'll probably send them to camp - that was what is what I had planned when I did fall breedings - wasn't expecting a sale

Wheels":3t121y8y said:
Well looks like she picked up some of the wrong stock - I have one of the does I'd marked for her still in the barn....

__________ Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 pm __________

Zass":3t121y8y said:

I'll probably send them to camp - that was what is what I had planned when I did fall breedings - wasn't expecting a sale

Well then she most certainly didn't get what she paid for :T I'd do a fair bit of driving as that's not a mis sexing so much as not giving her the right animals at all :( It's about your reputation as a breeder and defo would make the hubby drive since he grabbed the wrong ones in the first place XD

well I've offered to meet where ever she feels like meeting to replace the rabbits again. I have one young doe, if she does have 2 bucks I've offered a brood doe or her money back. Brood doe is a nice Momma (I just happen to have a sister who produces just a touch better) it would be more than generous trade. I haven't heard from her since sending her that message :?: :hmm: Maybe she's busy or needs to talk it over with her family but? Figured I'd hear something by now.

NEVER MIND - we're good :lol:

she ended up selling the bucks like I suggested and she's going to buy the other doe and the brood doe Saturday :lol:

I'm glad it all worked out for you. Sometimes it is good to replace or exchange rabbits just to maintain good customer relations. :)

Latest posts

Back