What's a reasonable price?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right board, or not, so please move it if need be. I'm thinking about adding a Flemish to the mix (still not sure) and there's a local 'breeder' in the area. Not keen on her buns as she advertises them as "... Rare Blue Flemish Giants...". Here's the link http://reno.craigslist.org/grd/4270610980.html

$80 for a non-pedigreed rabbit, even if it is purebred, seems crazy to me. I mean, maybe I'm just cheap, dunno. I probably won't get a bun from her simply because in previous ads she's posted that she uses BunnyVac, but I admit I'd be curious to see how the vax holds up to an active outbreak. Either way, if I continue to look for a FG, what price range should I be looking at? This would be a house bun/meat bun producer... no showing.

Best bloodlines in the nation? Makes me wonder what those bloodlines actually are.

Someone selling at those prices usually posts better pics of the rabbits posed for show so the potential buyer can see the qualities that they are paying so much for.
I'm seeing no mention of them being show quality.
For Flemish I often see the parents weights in adds too.

I think $80 or $150 is too much to ask for the way she has them advertised, BUT it doesn't mean the buns aren't worth that much.
A really good Flemish is definitely worth that much.
Someone who knows what to look for would have to go look at them and their parents + pedigrees to determine if they are really good Flemish though.

Someone here in Kern County advertises theirs on CL for $100.

I would contact the breeder and see if s/he shows, and if so I would be inclined to arrange to meet at a show so you can have the rabbits evaluated by a judge or judges... but considering you only want a FG for non-showing purposes, I think the price is too steep. Maybe they have an older buck that they would be willing to move on for less?

There is quite a bit of debate here on RT about adding FG into meat lines because of their meat to bone ratio. Supposedly they grow fast, but bone comes first, then meat.

Just a thought, but if they were bred towards the standard and for the best color, why show the worst? That baby looks to have a white toe o_O *edit* I know not every one is a "good example" just meant that if I was going to try to get top dollar I'd show my best and if I did show that type of a picture with one with a dq or another that made him/her pet quality would explain such. Does look like a very happy/healthy rabbit though and for that area and breeder maybe an 80.00 pet isn't bad. Time, energy, feed, medical, and care do cost. Personally I wouldn't pay that much for a pet, but then again I don't have just pets too.*

A rabbit friend of mine gets about that much, but some times not too. I'd contact like others said and ask, do some searching and see who's been doing consistently good at shows for the last couple years or 5-10 year marks if their name comes up high often look at the number of shows to shown etc too. Talk to the FG specialty club, maybe even ask them if they've heard of so and so's rabbits.

I see them going from $20 to $150 here...normally anything over 75 is pedigreed...the 20 ones are a bit of a drive...mostly pet ones around here go for about 40. Pricing in your area could be drastically different though. I'll admit I don't tend to like people that fling the word rare around as a marketing ploy when it isn't necessarily true, but I know blues are harder to find in some areas so ~shrug~ My advice is well ...If they breed them regularly they will have them up again in the future...you could try contacting them asking about future litters mentioning your planning to get one in a few months and would like to be notified next breeding if they are willing and sit back and wait to see if they fit in a normal price range for your area. You never know you could see more pop up with in days or in the next month with awesome FGs for half that or lower. If they are the cheapest ...or right on par for your area then great, but if they are way over normal pricing unless your set on a blue might be better to wait :)

I have seen that ad a few times over the last couple of weeks. It is the ONLY time I have seen the ad or any ad for FG to tell you the truth for our area. I have seen ads for FG from Cali and not for as much as that particular person is asking for. Just giving my $0.02 is all.

Am I reading that ad right, $70 more for a pedigree? If so good grief, I've never seen an extra pedigree charge that high.

ckcs":25baqrgc said:
Am I reading that ad right, $70 more for a pedigree? If so good grief, I've never seen an extra pedigree charge that high.

Last summer, when I was researching Angoras and Flemish Giants (the two [groups of] breeds I was considering), I found two northern California FG breeders online.

Disclaimers: I did *not* contact these breeders in person; I did *not* go see their rabbits; the rabbit show I attended in September did *not* have any FGs entered.

Breeder A, a woman, was coy about her prices, so I kept looking. I wanted to get an idea of the "normal" price for a Flemish Giant vs. what a shelter or rescue might request as an adoption fee (same with Angoras).

Breeder B was very clear on his prices on his website. $50 for non-pedigree-supplied FG bunnies; $100 for with-pedigree bunnies. These would be young, unproven, probably not shown (too young) juniors or, if there is such a thing, sub-juniors??? He had higher prices, too, for rabbits with "legs" or proven does still under 2 years old, etc., but $50 and $100 were his "basic" prices for FG little ones.

Doesn't seem to unusual....Usually the Flemish start around $75-$125 from breeders around here.

I can understand since they take longer to raise and sell (recommended age for large breeds are 12 weeks to sell)

People sometimes just breed them and sell them at $50 and some try to sell pet quality for double or triple.

Kinda like the velveteen lops around here. We have a breeder that rips people off by talking about how "rare" they are (Looks like someone dragged them behind their truck) and all this other crap and then these people buy a pair or trio and try to sell them for $150-$200 a piece as pets! Little do they know, they were sold the bottom of the barrel rabbit and producing the worst looking offspring I've ever seen and asking top dollar to try to make a profit.

The bigger breeds, I'd be weary off. I notice a lot of people get them because they are so big and unusual, but you have to really screen through them. When I advertise, I show pictures of past wins and properly posed rabbits....I don't take a breeder seriously if they are putting a rabbit on a sofa and taking a picture. To me, it lacks professionalism.

Most everybody of late, seems to charge whatever they believe
they can get a person to pay, no matter what the quality is of the Rabbit in question.
If you do not know what you are looking at/for you had best bring someone with a bit of experience with you if at all possible. In my years I have witnessed many Charlatans
who tend to guild the lily and paint a glorious picture of what you are purchasing
and how wonderful it will be when it gets settled in your rabbitry.
Do not pay whatever you feel is too much for what you are seeing.
More often then not you can talk any "Reputable" Breeder into giving you
the best bang for your Buck! [Or Doe] :D .
I have always been of the assumption that Rabbits are not here to make us RICH!
Perhaps I always undercharge, but I have been so involved with 4H for so many years
that I believe a good person deserves a good Rabbit for a good price.
I don't give them away, but I don't try to rip anyone off either!!
Hey, I guess we all have to do what we feel is right.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back