What ya think?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpersden

Reaction score
I think we may have some tri color Hollands. Mom is a sable but has frosty, fawn, black, chestnut, tort and smoke pearl in her ped. Dad is a broken tort but has black, tort only in his ped.

pizap.com13284684332911.jpg
pizap.com13284685178342.jpg

Those are beautiful kits, Thumpersden.

But I don't think they could be tris. They would need an ej_ gene for that. Their broken tort father would be ee. Their Sable mother would be E_. That kit on the left looks like a solid tort, which means it must be ee, and that would mean its mother must be Ee.

So, those pretty spotted kits would have to be broken torts.

It just might be a Magic trick,
but they certainly look like they are exhibiting three colors to me!
Or two colors and White!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

So cute .they look like they have three colors to me. White,tan, and dark brown/black. Is that tri-color?
I don't know about the genetics but they are going to be very pretty rabbits :)

Looks like three colors to me too, OS. But I don't think they are tris. Notice how the color shading is so symmetrical- orange on top, and gray or brown on the ears and flanks. I have a Rex kit that seems to have the same thing going on:

IMG_5569.JPG

He is stretched out in this photo:

IMG_5572.JPG

Actually, a couple of them are like that... I thought they were broken castors.

Yes those are broken Torts! The darker spots are in the area where a tort baby is darker, and the lighter spots where its more of the red/tan. You can see the exact pattern on the solid kit.

Devon's Mom Lauren":1tzazrv3 said:
Yes those are broken Torts! The darker spots are in the area where a tort baby is darker, and the lighter spots where its more of the red/tan. You can see the exact pattern on the solid kit.

Yep, I just bought a boy just like that, on the breeders page he is in profile and another tort is too, so you can see where he would have been different shades, how the the white breaks up those two colors.

JueLee":2isxie8i said:
Those are beautiful kits, Thumpersden.

But I don't think they could be tris. They would need an ej_ gene for that. Their broken tort father would be ee. Their Sable mother would be E_. That kit on the left looks like a solid tort, which means it must be ee, and that would mean its mother must be Ee.

So, those pretty spotted kits would have to be broken torts.

Thank you JueLee. That is totally what I thought! It was a bet between my son and I. He pleaded his case well. :)So I now that he see this I won. So off to the bathroom to clean he goes LOL. Silly boy. I think it was really just wishful thinking on his part though

__________ Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:19 pm __________

Thank you everyone! I started to doubt myself. Like I said he pleaded his case very well. LOL. I told him that he has some plain ol boring broken torts. LOL. He is only 10 and has always wanted tri bunnies. We saw some once at a show and tri's are all he talks about. My hubby and I are thinking we need to get him a tri holland some time this year so he will stop freaking out everytime he sees a broken tort kit. He is learning and thank you all for the explaintion as to why they are not tri's :thankyou:<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm __________<br /><br />
ottersatin":2isxie8i said:
It just might be a Magic trick,
but they certainly look like they are exhibiting three colors to me!
Or two colors and White!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

That is totally what my son thought! He kept saying "see see" LOL

If you want tris, look for some Harlequin colored Hollands and breed them to a broken black. You *might* get some tris, but be sure not to introduce your tri-color line to your tort line! You'll end up with "torted tris" which are tort colored but with black spots like a tri, and its a huge no-no and is awfully hard to get rid of.

They are cute though, and congrats on the babies!

Cattle Cait":2m2bp327 said:
If you want tris, look for some Harlequin colored Hollands and breed them to a broken black. You *might* get some tris, but be sure not to introduce your tri-color line to your tort line! You'll end up with "torted tris" which are tort colored but with black spots like a tri, and its a huge no-no and is awfully hard to get rid of.

They are cute though, and congrats on the babies!

Thank you Cattle Cait! I will have to look around. Maybe I will get lucky at one of the shows.<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 pm __________<br /><br />Here they are at one week old. :) Definitely Broken Tort. But I have admit I like the spots on these guys!

pizap.com13287611570201.jpg

Back