What would you do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmybunnys

Reaction score
I have a doe that only "took" 1 time out of 4. The time she did she had a nice litter of 9 babys. She is a good mother. What would you do? :?

I had one like that, ate her. But that was after trying all sorts of bucks and making sure she was ready each time. :/

I would wonder about her. Did you use just one buck or try others? I had a doe miss several times...and it wasn't just her. Every doe I bred to that buck...missed. :shock: :? Now I have pretty fertile bucks and have less misses. :) If she missed with multiple bucks...I'd consider that it's her, though.

I side with Kyle. If the doe has been bred to the same buck, the breed her with another buck to see if its him. If its been several bucks, I'd send her to freezer camp or a pet home. Keep in mind too that if all the breedings have been to the same buck and its been in the recent hot weather that his fertility might be low due to the heat. If you like him, I wouldn't put him out just yet until you can get some cooler weather to see if its normal for him or if it was a fluke due to heat.

She may be borderline...."too-heavy".

Keep a constant eye on her weight and
if you can get her pregnant again make
sure she stays bred.

grumpy.

Right now I have just that 1 buck. The other does have no problem with him. The doe thats having trouble lets him cover her everytime. She never puts up a fight.

i used to have a three strikes and you are out rule... now it's down to TWO strikes and you are out. I figure if EVERYONE else is breeding and not having an issue then why should I keep the one doe that isn't? Fail once.. I'll breed you to someone else next time (in case it's a genetic incompatibility) Fail again and you are out the door.

That said... I have made some exceptions... one a pretty polish doe...took three tries before she had a kit...It died at three weeks unexpectedly... she left my rabbitry (so I won't be doing that again), a young buck that took until 9 months before he became a breeder and the son's pet rabbit is now completely just a pet.

2 bun-owner":3rotex28 said:
What does culled mean? Breed?

To "cull" means to remove from the gene pool. Usually on this forum it means that they were dispatched and used for meat, but it can also mean that the animal was kept or rehomed as a pet.

Latest posts

Back