What would you dehydrate?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK-backyardbunnies

Reaction score
For winter feeding, what kind of roots/plants would you dehydrate to store? Or would you just buy a bag of sugar beet chips? ;)

I don't use a food dehydrator but I grow kale all summer and it keeps well over winter.

I harvest clover, dandelions, vetch and other wild plants from fallow fields and dry it in the sun then bundle it to supplement their grass hay over winter

I buy big bags of horse carrots for all my critters to snack on over winter.

I'm thinking of dehydrating half of each day's forage for next winter's food. I'm not sure what I'm going to use to dehydrate -- I have an American Harvester dehydrator but I'm not sure if that will work and if it does, how long it will take to burn it up... :x

Tip for a hillbilly dehydrator, a box fan turned on its back with window screens stacked on top. Spacers between the screens to aid air flow.

3mina":1kueg244 said:
Tip for a hillbilly dehydrator, a box fan turned on its back with window screens stacked on top. Spacers between the screens to aid air flow.

:p That reminded me of an episode of "Good Eats"! He used a box fan, air filters, and bungee cords. The bungee cords held the filters to the front of the fan so it could be set upright. Very cool idea! Thanks for the reminder! :cool:

If your climate isn't too humid, you can dry grass and weeds and such right on your lawn or driveway. A dehydrator would work but oh my...it'd take forever to dry enough to really have an impact...a full machine would probably only give you enough for a day for 1 rabbit...remember, that stuff shrinks when it dries! :)

Latest posts

Back