What would cause senior rabbit to bloat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
I've had my fair share of kits weaning get bloat (and understand how their guts are sensitive), but never a senior rabbit.

What would cause this? My californian doe who has successfully had a couple of litters just suddenly went off her feed the last 48 hours and she's bloated and sloshy in the belly. I pulled her grain per usual, pushed hay, gave her a bowl of water, and have done some sub Q fluids today. I'd really like her to make it through this...

Some semethicone, infant wind drops, would be really good to give her if she has gas. It is supposed to be really safe. I buy it in the Baby aisle of the grocery store where all the stuff for infants is. It works by breaking gass into small bubbles so they can pass easier.

P.S. I'm not sure what could have given yours bloat but when my doe was pulling fur for her nest, she was also eating her pellets at the same time, so I could see her swallowing fur and pellets, I tried to get it out of her mouth but it was too late. She gave birth 2 hours later and 8 hours later that night I heard really loud gurgling noises from her stomach, you could hear her stomach making noises from across the room. She also was all hunched up. I syringed some water in her and then infocal and she was ok the next day. Hopefully yours will be alright too.

How's the doe doing?

I have an older HL doe who is always a bit gassy, in all other ways very normal but with a little bloaty tummy. Trying her on a hay only diet but now I'm wondering if something else is going on.

Latest posts

Back