What to put hay in

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassdawg

Reaction score
Hi, now i have another problem my little girl Annabell makes a mess an hay is all over her cage an all over the floor. What is a good way to give her hay ? Thanks
Bill

or you can buy hay balls to put the hay into. :) sold at most pet stores.
or you can make your own using scrap wire, or those metal things that you can hang in your shower for bath supplies (just rework them a bit).

Build yourself a Hay-rack out of cage wire.
you can hang the rack on the outside of the cage
the rabbits will pull the hay through to eat it.
This will keep the hay much cleaner and prevent the possibility
of causing Coccidiosis. Hay tossed on the cage floor is quite frequently
urinated and or defecated on, when this hay is ingested it may/will
cause digestive problems.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I've seen rabbits and guinea pigs with their heads stuck in those hay balls dead. The wires are too weak. A good petstore (as good as petstores selling millbreeder animals can be) here had them in all the pens but kept finding dead animals partially in them so removed them and refuses to sell them.

They even make solid hay racks that fit on the outside of the cage, which are nice because the hay can only spill INTO the cage, and that keeps YOUR floor cleaner. :)

I was having that problem. This is what I did. I bought these at the dollar store and cut them in half and used zip ties.
DSCN2741.JPG
DSCN2742.JPG
DSCN2743.JPG

Thumpersden: How are those working?? Which dollar store did you go to? I made some wire hay racks but one of my does likes to bend them and all the hay falls out. Frustrating

I really like them. It seems to me to work better than store bought. Believe me I have bought them all! There is a little bit of hay left on the floor but no much at all like with the others and seems safe too. I got them at our local dollar store called "Dollar Tree".

Latest posts

Back