What to do before sending bunnies to freezer camp...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Hunter

Reaction score
Just a little side note on the process for me...as I have Native American heritage...I make an effort to do something in the way of a spiritual process. No matter what type of animal it is to process.

I start with a short smudging ceremony to purify myself...I put on some native drumming music in the background that sets a rhythm, and tone for the event. After making the kill, make a blessing for the animal with some raw tobacco, and a short prayer of thanks to Creator for the bounty.

This for me tends to lessen the emotional stress of the process. I am sure others have done similar things in their own ways.

I always stop for a moment and thank the animal for the gift of their life, and thank God for providing the animal. Makes it better for me somehow...

OneAcreFarm":2wmxd61j said:
I always stop for a moment and thank the animal for the gift of their life, and thank God for providing the animal. Makes it better for me somehow...

Now thats what I am talking about...we each have our own way...and yea....makes it better for us

I have my own private two part ceremony. First I thank the rabbit for coming to me and the pleasure of its company,and the gift of its life. I then kill it quickly and bleed it onto the ground while the heart is still beating. A Choctaw holy man gave me the words for this part,"Earth Mother, this is my brother (sister) the rabbit who has given himself to me. Nurture his spirit".

There is no right way...or wrong way....and of course...those that don't choose any of this...they are not wrong either...

i have no ceremony. I just simply make a choice, make it as quick and painless as I can, and then the deed. that's it.

I have no ceremony either. While I honour the traditions of our Native People, it would feel to me too much like cultural appropriation to borrow them. I do feel a sense of thankfulness and appreciation, though, that has a spiritual aspect to it. Producing food from our own land, whether meat or vegetables and fruit, gives me a feeling of peace and oneness with my world. I haven't yet felt it necessary to formalize this into a ceremony of any kind, but I can see how, down the generations, such ceremonies have become part of many cultures. Maybe I just haven't got there yet.

I am not a fan of ceremony either, but I am definitely thankful. My life has had too many ceremonies that have become insincere. I like them in theory and they sound beautiful, but they don't fit me. I will stick to honest thankfulness and leave it at that. I guess I do usually give them one last pat.

I have a little ritual/ceremony I do for spiritual reasons.

I only butcher rabbits during the Waning moon phase.
I have to be alone. I don't feel it's right to have an "audience" when you're taking something's life.
I play calming music (Celtic is my preferred genre).
Then I thank the rabbit for being in my life then I apologize and do the deed.

After I process and put what I'm keeping in the fridge / or freezer and take everything else out back to feed the Fox/crows or whatever gets to it first instead of wasting what we don't eat. Then I clean everything up, where I processed, the rabbits old cage. Then I have a shower and put on new clothes.

Back