What to breed to?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am picking up a Black Otter Holland Lop doe on Friday and I was wondering what would be the best color to breed her to? I have access to a friend's Tort Holland Lop buck and he has a bunch of pure black babies that he will give me a buck out of once they are old enough that would be the son of the Tort buck he has.
He found that the doe of the Black babies has some dominant black gene because he has bred her to 3 other bucks and out of 19 babies only 2 were Blue an the rest were pure black..

Here is the doe im picking up.

380822_216398568440164_100002100667846_525591_1778141468_n.jpg

well hollands are like so easy with color...theres so many colors you can pretty much not worry about getting unshowables. Ive had hollands for 10 years. Breed for type. Focus on what that doe needs to improve on. pick out a buck to breed to her with those things she can improve on.

LilFish_JWQueen(:":19o7yswh said:
well hollands are like so easy with color...theres so many colors you can pretty much not worry about getting unshowables. Ive had hollands for 10 years. Breed for type. Focus on what that doe needs to improve on. pick out a buck to breed to her with those things she can improve on.

So breeding a black to an otter is okay? I just dont want to mess up any colors.. :/

Here is a photo off of the breeder's ad of the 8 week old buck we are going to pick up this weekend also!

5L65Nb5J83Md3Fd3Lfbcjb28662abeba912b2.jpg

Just don't breed otters to Torts as you will get torted otters or whats also known as fox otter, while they are pretty they are not a recognized colour. Breeding to self is ok, but watch out for that non extension gene "e" Having 2 of those gives you tort. So some of those black selfs out of the tort buck *may* be carrying a small "e". However breeding for type is WAY more important than worrying about what colour to breed to, especially in Hollands which are so competitive!

Devon's Mom Lauren":25jn5n9b said:
Just don't breed otters to Torts as you will get torted otters or whats also known as fox otter, while they are pretty they are not a recognized colour. Breeding to self is ok, but watch out for that non extension gene "e" Having 2 of those gives you tort. So some of those black selfs out of the tort buck *may* be carrying a small "e". However breeding for type is WAY more important than worrying about what colour to breed to, especially in Hollands which are so competitive!

Thank you for the information. I have since decided to go with a different buck that isnt from the Tort buck I was talking about in the OP.. And your right.. They are pretty!! :'(

Latest posts

Back