What to breed to my new chin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, shoot, you can breed it to whatever you like, provided the buck isn't a lot lot bigger than the doe. The question is, what are you trying to accomplish? To get a specific color? To make pets, show bunnies, meat bunnies....

What breed or what are the accepted colors of the breed and what colors are on the pedigree of both rabbits? If we assumed all dominant genetics all you will get is a bunch of chinchilla rabbits carrying sable, dilute, and nonextension but not showing any of it. If there are other genes present though there are a whole lot of things you could get and many would not be showable under a lot of breeds so the offspring could only be sold as pets and brood stock.

So I just went and read your intro, are these both Mini Rexes? Because you know, there are Chinchilla and American Sable breeds--I thought that was what you meant at first...

I am not terribly familiar with the genetics of those two colors, but I think they would be compatible--they both carry the chinchilla gene, you should get chinchillas and maybe pointed offspring, depending on what the chin carries in the agouti/extension genes...maybe otters and martens? I think martens are not a showable color in rex, not sure though. Sounds like nice colors to me! :)

Kind of just what akane just said...she does know much more about mini rex than I do...I have no idea what is desirable for them.

sable point isn't a pointed.. it is treated the same as a tort except with the chin gene you *may* get shagoutis ( unshowable shaded agouti type things... although for show I would focus on type, and quality of fur first before worrying about colour.. for pets that doesn't really matter so i would decide your main reason for breeding a pair together before anything..:) If breeding for show you can't focus on what the pet people want its what you want and need first.If for pets then you must focus on what other people are looking for in your area and not what you want! The upside to breeding for the SOP and shows is that not every kit will be a keeper and can probably be sold as a pet.

Using just the genes known to be present in those 2 rabbits you could potentially get about 16 colors of which only 4 I'm certain are recognized. Not a great combination for making show rabbits. There could also be chocolates in there or if the chinchilla carries sable you could have seals. If the chinchilla carries tan/otter you could have otters and silver martins-in process of being accepted. Rew or himi could be hiding in there. Or if the chinchilla has all dominant genes you could just get entire litters of chinchillas and nothing else. If we don't know the background we have no idea what either rabbit is likely to be carrying and even then many colors aren't for certain but instead just give you the odds of them showing up. With current knowledge you might as well throw darts at a board and maybe you'll get the colors they land on because aside from the first column of this chart http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Rabbit-Co ... -Chart.htm any of those colors could be hiding in the genetics of those 2 rabbits.

Thanks for all the useful info. I will go thru the pedigrees and look closely.....<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 pm __________<br /><br />Ok, I have looked at that chart, and I am wwaayyy confused! :cry:
However, in this pedigree there are 5 sables, 3 himi-blacks, 3blacks, etc....
So maybe I would be better breeding to a black......?

Latest posts

Back