what time of day does a rabbit kindle

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estherbunny

Reaction score
I was just wondering what time of day my mini rex rabbit would most likely have babies. Today is her 31st and I bred her at about 4:30 in the afternoon on the day that she was bred. And just wanting to know so I can watch out because its her 1st time. :p

Interestingly our last two litters kindled VERY close to the hour they had been bred - probably coincidence, but interesting. Thus far all our litters have been during the day.

I have a doe who had 8 as of 1:30 today,but I think she has more to go. She usually drops 11. When I saw her she was sitting just inside the nest on her rump with her left foreleg resting on the edge of the nest. That leg was shaking like she was trying to pass another kit. I will check before I go to bed if this dang rain stops. :x

I concur. All times of the day, usually right after I leave the barn, though I have had 4 kindling as I watched, with one I had to pick kits off the wire and put them in the nest.

Most of the time overnight to early morning but any time is possible. I've had a few kindle in the middle of the day while I was there. I just look in at them every hour or 2 while they are in labor to make sure things are happening and viable kits are going in the nest. I've had 2 does now put all live kits in the nest but hop out when having a stillborn. It was definitely deliberate so I don't blame all dead kits on the wire on the doe failing to use the nest.

akane":btinhzvd said:
Most of the time overnight to early morning but any time is possible. I've had a few kindle in the middle of the day while I was there. I just look in at them every hour or 2 while they are in labor to make sure things are happening and viable kits are going in the nest. I've had 2 does now put all live kits in the nest but hop out when having a stillborn. It was definitely deliberate so I don't blame all dead kits on the wire on the doe failing to use the nest.

Interesting, I wonder how they know??

Syberchick70":qk3xcws3 said:
akane":qk3xcws3 said:

Interesting, I wonder how they know??

I dunno, but I've experienced the same thing too many times to count.

My theory is that the does would have those stillborn babies far away from the nest if they were not caged.

Well I went to check her this morning and still no babies so I think she may have them today when I go to school but idk.

Last year when we were starting out I don't know what time they kindled because we didn't check them as often. This year the 3 litters so far were born around 10 am, 11 am and 7 am. This year we were checking every hour so know more precisely but still they've all been clean by the time we got there which surprised me.

WhWRabbitry":3hx459cq said:
Interestingly our last two litters kindled VERY close to the hour they had been bred - probably coincidence, but interesting. Thus far all our litters have been during the day.

Nope, not coincidence, at least in my barn. :) I always note down a.m. or p.m. when I breed my rabbits because I have noticed that those bred in the morning usually kindle in the morning and vice versa.

I'd say I catch about 80% of my does kindling- but I check them first thing when I wake up, continuously through out the day, and last thing before going to bed at night. Very rarely do I find kits in the nest when I first check on my expectant does in the morning.

Mine did a weird thing. She was bred in the morning, and kindled mid day last Saturday. She had 2 live and good looking kits and since she's a 1st time holland lop, we were thrilled with that. Then we came home from church on Sunday to find her in the process of giving birth to 5 more (2 dead and one of those was stretched) also around 12:30 pm!!!! I had no idea labor could last that long or she was carrying such a large (for her) litter! Animals will continue to surprise you, but she may just be a fluke. Watch for other comments on trends and see what you can expect:)

macksmom98":3g3pk5sp said:
Mine did a weird thing. She was bred in the morning, and kindled mid day last Saturday. She had 2 live and good looking kits and since she's a 1st time holland lop, we were thrilled with that. Then we came home from church on Sunday to find her in the process of giving birth to 5 more (2 dead and one of those was stretched) also around 12:30 pm!!!! I had no idea labor could last that long or she was carrying such a large (for her) litter! Animals will continue to surprise you, but she may just be a fluke. Watch for other comments on trends and see what you can expect:)

This seems to be far more common than I would have thought. I've seen several people post about having the same thing happen and always the large 'stretched' kit. The only conclusion I can have is that the stretched kit was stuck and she had to pull it out, clearing the way for other kits. Poor girl. :/

My stretched kit was last, so I'm not sure how that fits into the equation, I wonder
If maybe it was stuck in the other uterine horn causing prolonged labor but still allowing other kits to be born? But can they even have kits in both horns when only bred once?

macksmom98":113lr1mp said:
If maybe it was stuck in the other uterine horn causing prolonged labor but still allowing other kits to be born?

I think they get stretched when passing through the pelvic girdle- muscular contractions are strong, but not that strong. I hope! :x

macksmom98":113lr1mp said:
But can they even have kits in both horns when only bred once?

Yes. Animals that have litters release eggs from both ovaries and typically carry fetuses in each horn.

MamaSheepdog":3veyovt6 said:
macksmom98":3veyovt6 said:
If maybe it was stuck in the other uterine horn causing prolonged labor but still allowing other kits to be born?

I think they get stretched when passing through the pelvic girdle- muscular contractions are strong, but not that strong. I hope! :x

macksmom98":3veyovt6 said:
But can they even have kits in both horns when only bred once?

Yes. Animals that have litters release eggs from both ovaries and typically carry fetuses in each horn.

Yes, I've autopsied a pregnant rabbit who had been bred only once. :( Zero possibility of her having contacted a buck afterwards. (My cages are hanging in single rows.)

There were kits in both horns, which makes perfect sense when you open them up. The kits are carried in two a rows, one on each side of the abdominal cavity, instead of all in one row down the middle or something like that...

Its my tort mini rex's 32nd day and still no babies. Should I be worried?! I wonder whats up!? Do you think its a bigger litter so the kits are taking longer to grow? Or maybe they are stuck? I have no clue. This would be her 3rd time having a litter and the other 2 times she kindled she had them on her 31st. The first litter she had 2 kits (only on survived) and the last litter she had 6 and all survived but 1. Do you think she is holding them in? Maybe its a false pregnancy? But I palpated her and If I am correct then she is pregnant. And she is looking bigger than usually and has mad a nest, and has cut back on eating and lays down most of the time. The buck fell off 3 times. Maybe she absorbed them. Idk there, are so many possibilities. She had already made a nest too but she has not pulled fur yet so I am just guessing that she will do that when she kindles. I may just need to be more patient but idk. Its very hard to be patient when I think about having a cute litter of bunnies. Someone please give their opinion!

From what I've read here, I wouldn't be too worried at 32 days. That's well within the normal range.

Latest posts

Back