What the heck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali

Reaction score
Satin doe Scarlett has 3 good looking babies a little over 2 weeks old. I have not bred her back yet but when I went to feed them this morning, there was a dead kit on the wire. Well. Most of a dead kit. It had no head and no legs. It looked like a newborn. What's going on around here?

I dunno about a malformed baby, it definitely looked like it had been munched on. If it had been "in the oven" that long, wouldn't it have been a bit bigger? And maybe like, rotten?

Did you breed her at different days? It might of just been a retained kit that somehow didn't spoil, which is good. Since it would of killed the mom. She might of tried eating the kit, thus the no legs and such.

I think I just bred her the one day. However she is in a cage next to the buck... They are separated by hardware cloth, but I wonder if he could have bred her through the wire. I'm definitely glad she's okay, she's my favorite doe haha.

Here's a pic of her today with one of her two-week-olds :D

13002_10151587566771622_1462368976_n.jpg

I would suspect that it was a kit that died at birth, and was just hidden in the nest. Despite rigorously searching my boxes after kindling, I have found the occasional "mummified" kit. Since the temps have been cool/cold, it probably didn't really start decomposing, and somehow got removed from the nest.

Latest posts

Back