What size wire?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainViewRabbitry

Washington Rabbit Rescue
Reaction score
Hi all. Constructing my own Rabbitry cages (maybe). I’m looking at breeding Netherland dwarfs for show. What size mesh/gauge should I use for the bottom, sides and top?? I was thinking 1/2” x 1/2” for the floor and maybe 1”x1” or 1”x2” for the walls And tops? I’m also going to make them into three or four stackers. What would you recommend to stack them? what trays do you recommend? (Trays are a must for us) what about baby saver wire For the sides?… HELP! thank you.

edit: I want to be able to do other breeds in the future if I want to. I used to have hollands.

Hi, I would keep in mind to make sure to have big enough wire holes, so that their pebbles/hay don't get stuck and can easily go through. I do hanging and hutches.

Ideal floors are usually 1x 1/2 inch--it lets poop drop thru without kit feet falling thru. For a small breed you might get away with a smaller mesh, but try to get the heaviest gauge wire you can find--14 gauge is made of bigger wires than 16 gauge, and will last longer, be sturdier, and safer. Unless your cages are indoors, it is as much about what you keep out as what you keep in.

I also would suggest running whatever size you use for the floor up 3 or so inches at least on the walls, so that kits can't wiggle thru. Little babies on the ground frozen is sad, and some of them can end up out of the nest accidently when their eyes aren't open.

Ideal floors are usually 1x 1/2 inch--it lets poop drop thru without kit feet falling thru. For a small breed you might get away with a smaller mesh, but try to get the heaviest gauge wire you can find--14 gauge is made of bigger wires than 16 gauge, and will last longer, be sturdier, and safer. Unless your cages are indoors, it is as much about what you keep out as what you keep in.

I also would suggest running whatever size you use for the floor up 3 or so inches at least on the walls, so that kits can't wiggle thru. Little babies on the ground frozen is sad, and some of them can end up out of the nest accidently when their eyes aren't open.
What size do you use for walls?

I always use 1x1/2" floor. I used to do 1x1" for sides and top but I've had problems with raccoons even then. Anything I build now will be 1/2x1/2" hardwood cloth sides or solid. And a roll of the hardware cloth is cheaper.

If you're having cages next to each other you'll also want the gaps small enough that rabbits can't pick at each other. I had twice where a rabbit decided to hate their neighbors and would pull fur from them if they laid along the side.
And bigger gaps mean you really don't want bucks next to does in case they manage to breed through the cage.

I always use 1x1/2" floor. I used to do 1x1" for sides and top but I've had problems with raccoons even then. Anything I build now will be 1/2x1/2" hardwood cloth sides or solid. And a roll of the hardware cloth is cheaper.

If you're having cages next to each other you'll also want the gaps small enough that rabbits can't pick at each other. I had twice where a rabbit decided to hate their neighbors and would pull fur from them if they laid along the side.
And bigger gaps mean you really don't want bucks next to does in case they manage to breed through the cage.
Ok! Where do you guys find 1/2” x 1” hard ware cloth/wire mesh? I can only find it a few places and it’s all like 3 weeks out. I can find 1/2” x 1/2” right away. Do you think that would be ok for Netherland dwarfs and maybe mini rex? I’m really hoping to start soon! Maybe they just haven’t updated the websites idk.

I have had many breeds over time. From mini Rex and Dutch to NZ, Californian, and a couple flemish giant. I have used 1x1/2" floor and 1x1 sides/top for all of them.
Really all that changes for rabbits size is heavy rabbits will need more floor support. And cage size. I've liked 30x30 for everything except the flemish giant which are just so big and need lots of space.
Bigger rabbits have enough space and small rabbits have more than enough space.

I get supplies from rural king or tractor supply. I check the prices and get from whichever is cheaper or has the right size wire. And for me they're always cheaper than buying bigger rolls of wire online.

I have had many breeds over time. From mini Rex and Dutch to NZ, Californian, and a couple flemish giant. I have used 1x1/2" floor and 1x1 sides/top for all of them.
Really all that changes for rabbits size is heavy rabbits will need more floor support. And cage size. I've liked 30x30 for everything except the flemish giant which are just so big and need lots of space.
Bigger rabbits have enough space and small rabbits have more than enough space.

I get supplies from rural king or tractor supply. I check the prices and get from whichever is cheaper or has the right size wire. And for me they're always cheaper than buying bigger rolls of wire online.
Thank you! We are thinking we will try all 1/2” by 1/2” for the entire cage, do you guys think that will work? There small rabbits and I have no issues cutting holes where is needed. just want to make sure it will be supported enough for a netherland dwarf (1-3lbs) does this seem ok? 1/2” by 1/2” For the whole cage? They are inside a shed.

I wouldn't go smaller than 1x1/2 for the floor. The turds won't always fall through. I see lots of hutches built with hardware cloth and they always have putty knives to scrape the poop corners regularly.
And if it's hardware cloth it is made of a thinner wire. The 1x1/2 is a thicker wire. It's better on their feet.

I haven't had breeds smaller than a mini Rex but I wouldn't think that would change much for the cage needs other than the floor space per rabbit.

I don't know much about wire sizes but I'd recommend making the holes on the side more minimal. All my stackers have wooden boards on the sides but I've had many Kits squeeze out the bottom of the front wall under the door

What size do you use for walls?
I have big rabbits, so I actually use repurposed wire from wire dog crates for the walls, or plywood. In my case I have to consider how to support weight, and I can physically climb into my cages without them sagging--I built more of a hutch style for having really strong stiff flooring.

For your little guys I would say hardware cloth is probably a good option, like everyone else. Then you don't have to worry about kits squiggling out.

Latest posts

Back