What size hutches do you recommend for Calis, NZs, and Flemi

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwolff644

Reaction score
I'm starting to make new all wire hutches for my rabbits. I've had them in prebought wooden and wire hutches, and basically just gave them hutches according to size, i.e., flemish gets the biggest, smallest rabbit gets the smallest.

I have a flemish doe, and some NZ Does, and some Cali does. They will all have their litters in there with them at some point. I also have a NZ Buck. What would your recommended sizes be for each of these? I'm starting with wire that is 30" wide, so that will be one measurement. I'm planning on cutting the wire in half for the sides so it will only be 15" tall. Is this too short for them? These will be put into a frame so they will need to be uniform on height, but length is negotiable.
Thanks for your input

The cages my cal brood does are in are 30 by 36 by 24 tall.

I have 48x24x18 cages, which I feel are a good fit for a 7-8 lb harlequin + litter, but they do seem a bit snug for larger rabbits.

A couple thoughts.
I can only reach about 24 inches easily, so going longer was more practical for me then having on 30 in deep.

15 in seems a bit short for Flemish giants.

I think your proposed height is too short for larger breeds. I have found rabbits to be happy, grow faster and healthier in an appropriate height. My rule of thumb is that they need to be able to stretch to their full adult height in the hutch. But, anything remotely close to that should be good. Not sure if 15 inches would be enough. Could you turn the 30" wire so that it goes the length? Your height could be cut from the roll, so to speak. Somewhere between 18 and 24 inches would be good. If you needed something larger than 30" X 30", then you could join two sections. It's not difficult at all.

A large doe and 10 kits take up a LOT of room! MY big does (FG cross being one of them)are in 48" long x 30" high ... but my husband made them 30" deep and it is too far for me to reach the corners which not only is a pain for catching buns, but in one case, a baby got out of the nest and stuck and I had to make my ten year old climb in to save it because I couldn't get to it. But I really like having the 48" long for litters and growouts~ I have two growout FG does who were fighting in a smaller pen but are fine in the giant one. When not with kits, my big does are in 36 x 30 x 24-30" high and all appreciate the room to hop, and to stretch.

One more thing... not sure if anyone mentioned it yet... But, you won't get two 15 inch pieces out of that wire cut in half. There will be a loss of whatever the spacing between wire is... 1 or 2 inches. So, you are more realistically looking at a possible 14 inch height, which is really not going to work for those larger breeds.

I have 2 NZW does and a NZW/Cal buck. The does cages are 48"Lx24"Dx24"T with a 12"x24" shelf placed at the 12'' mark (so that the doe can lay up there and get away from her rugrats. :lol: The buck is in a 36"Lx24"Dx24"T with no shelf. Plus you might want a tetanus shot before starting if your not already up to date. :x :lol: :lol:

In the long run it's cheaper to buy the pre-made cages. Unless you are lucky enough to get most of the wire for free. I built 5 doe's cages and 1 buck's cage for around $100, but I got out really luck and got most of my wire for free. Through recycled cages(found in our barn) and a huge roll of wire (found in my father in-law's barn). Basically that $100 was mostly spent on flooring. :x

If you are building for a large herd, then like most other things, buying in bulk can be cheaper. It all depends on how much $$, time, and patience you have. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back