What scale do you use?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaffeinatedBunnies

Reaction score
I need to get a scale for weighing my buns! If possible I'd like one that could weigh big buns, popple buns and daily feed rations.

As always RT advice is desired before spending money! What scale do you use? Like it? Hate it? Have a dream model in mind?

The main scale I use is a hanging scale with a "bunny basket" made out of floor wire and suspended from the scale by chain.

I also have a very nice digital scale that I found on Ebay- I bought one that weighs up to something like 400lbs, figuring it would be useful for weighing larger livestock as well. It has been commandeered by the Critterz Chewzit business, however, and now weighs packages of rabbit toys instead of rabbits! :lol:

Here's the one I use:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=+D ... by+Leegoal

It's a hanging kind and takes 2 AAA batteries.

Best advice when buying a scale is look at what kind of batteries it uses. I have a great food scale, but it takes 2 of those round $20 batteries. The scale it's self was only $15. :evil:

The AAA batteries I can pick up a the dollar tree 8 for a $1.07. :p :lol: :lol: :lol: And believe it or not the batteries you get at the dollar tree actually last. Not as long as energizer but almost as long and their a fraction of the price. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":1f151s99 said:
Here's the one I use:
The AAA batteries I can pick up a the dollar tree 8 for a $1.07. :p :lol: :lol: :lol: And believe it or not the batteries you get at the dollar tree actually last. Not as long as energizer but almost as long and their a fraction of the price. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to remember that.

I just use a $17 digital food scale from walmart. It weights up to 11lbs I think so big enough for the rabbits I have now. I just put a bucket on it and zero it out. Then put the rabbit in the bucket.

http://www.amazon.com/10kg-0-5g-digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B00HL9090O This is what I use. But, I bought it on ebay for less than that. I have a bucket that I place on it before turning it on. The scale will automatically zero out from that, so that the weight shown is only that of what I place in the bucket after turning it on. It also comes in handy for the occasional weighing of an item in the kitchen. I especially like the number of choices of units. And, at a 10kg capacity, which is about 22 lbs, it's well suited for my American Blues, which mature to about 10 lbs.

Baby scale. I had trouble with small scales and big rabbits. Trying to get them onto that small square without wiggling was annoying, as was trying to see the screen when using a rabbit in a box method. I tried a hanging scale as well but I just don't have anywhere good to mount it, plus it reset too quickly. Finally I got a baby scale and it works great, also got the power cord. I weigh bunnies, feed, and wool in this thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007 ... UTF8&psc=1

imajpm":2ag0dnvg said:
Baby scale. I had trouble with small scales and big rabbits. Trying to get them onto that small square without wiggling was annoying, as was trying to see the screen when using a rabbit in a box method. I tried a hanging scale as well but I just don't have anywhere good to mount it, plus it reset too quickly. Finally I got a baby scale and it works great, also got the power cord. I weigh bunnies, feed, and wool in this thing.

I hang a 5ga bucket from mine and zero it out prior to putting the bunny in the bucket. It also has the lock to it, so it takes the weight and locks it till you re-zero it out. Great for the person with a squirming rabbit.

wamplercathy":xtit48lr said:
imajpm":xtit48lr said:

I hang a 5ga bucket from mine and zero it out prior to putting the bunny in the bucket. It also has the lock to it, so it takes the weight and locks it till you re-zero it out. Great for the person with a squirming rabbit.

Yeah no doubt I just had a cruddy scale. I tried to do that time after time but by the time I'd get rascally bunny to the bucket my scale had turned itself off. Then I'd have to get it back on and tared again all while wrangling a worried bunny. I finally just got the baby scale and that doesn't bother them, plus it's good for weighing wool and I don't have to try to find a clean bucket. I swear, when I have one clean bucket it invariably gets swiped by someone who then uses it as a weed bucket and gets it all full of dirt.

Latest posts

Back