What Pet Rabbit forums have taught me

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found some good articles and comments on Garden web , and a few others, -- I think one of the "good" articles/ comments there was from our own MaggieJ, about meat rabbits. My earlier comment probly sounded too negative, and I should have pointed out some good things as well as my negative comments.

Yes RO sends me 'where have you been' automated e-mails from time to time, although I do not think I have logged on there 4-5-6 years? Really don't remember. Do agree that it was the mods who were the most militant- one mod who was moderating the breeders forum was particularly bad- you couldn't even suggest ways to put down a dying kit, or mention that you ate your rabbits, or mixed breeds, she'd go postal and allow all the kiddies and petaphiles to rant and rave. I myself have learned nothing from pet people, and have a hard time trying to say positive things things about them, as I simply cannot abide ignorance and fanaticism. But since I do not wish to ruin this for Ladysown I will tell you what I did learn on RO- that some rabbit rescue people are highly knowledgeable and I did learn something very important from them. They see the worst and they try to save everything, and are willing to try different things. They normally do have a good rabbit savvy vet as well, so the advice is sound. There was one rescue person on RO that had a very good treatment program worked out for ERE long before anyone really figured out what was going on- thats how I found out about the Baytril. Trying to give credit where credit is due.

I believe the "pet rabbit forums" serve a purpose...for those who have rabbits as pets. Having a source of information, albeit limited, is better than none. And a pet rabbit living under the norms espoused by the forums I have looked at would have a good life.

Personally, what I learned from them is that there exists a site called Rabbit Talk.

I do visit pet forums but, am careful never to mention eating my "bunnies" Sure some get names, the breeders that are good tempered and Sassy, foul tempered doe but she has a beautifully wide back and giant haunches for a New Zealand so, she gets bred for the conformation - plenty of meat in those kits when they get to weight.

Post that on a pet forum and I'd be flamed for eating my rabbits and, for breeding a bad tempered doe just for conformation I like. Here, you all might think the does should be culled, and yes if I sold my rabbits she should be but since I don't sell them, and I am willing to deal with her, I don't see a problem with breeding her. Any ill tempered kits are only going to be around 10 to 14 weeks anyway.

I've learned tons about how to best keep rabbits in the house and get them to litterbox!

I like having a bunnies around. Right now there's a junior doeling in the bathroom, a meat doe getting ready to kindle in the bedroom and a permanent housepet in the kitchen.

I would never have been able to keep them effectively if I hadn't had some pet rabbit websites to reference.
(It's been a LONG winter, I was getting lonely for the company of rabbits)

I still like RT best :D

Latest posts

Back